Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    sbruck is on a distinguished road

Default Understanding ComponentQuery and accessing peer components

Understanding ComponentQuery and accessing peer components

Using Architect 2, I have been able to create controllers, references (using ID), and controller actions. I run into trouble when I create two peer panels (panel1 and panel2) in the project. Neither is a child of the other (both are class level).

I can create a button on panel1 and give it custom property of [action=gotopanel2]. If I create references for each panel then my understanding is that I then have a getPanel1 and a getPanel2.

I have not been able to figure out how to instantiate panel 2 from panel 1. So far I have tried the following code in the controller action for the button:

this.getPanel2().animateActiveItem(0,
    {type: "slide",
    direction: "left"}
    );

The error I get is:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'animateActiveItem' of undefined

I guess I figured that the reference would work regardless of whether the component was a parent, I have seen some discussion of the fact that by using ID, I benefit from a global search of the DOM. from the error message the componentquery seems not to be finding the other panel. I would appreciate it if anyone could set me straight. Thanks in advance!

PS. Not sure whether it makes any sense to try and do this. I understand that navigation view may provide better method for doing this if all panels were nested beneath Navigation View...

Sencha - Architect Dev Team Phil.Strong's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Phil.Strong is a jewel in the rough Phil.Strong is a jewel in the rough Phil.Strong is a jewel in the rough Phil.Strong is a jewel in the rough

In order to do this you would have the controller manage the switch between one panel to the next.

You could have an controller action that responds to a click event on panel1 and then spawns a new panel2. In no way should panel1 ever know about panel2.

There are also times when you might want panel1 to simply fire an event on the application. The application would then respond by doing something (e.g. spawning a new panel2).

Hope this is helpful.
    Phil Strong
    @philstrong
    #SenchaArchitect
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Sencha - Architect Dev Team jjohnston's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jjohnston will become famous soon enough jjohnston will become famous soon enough

It's not clear from your description, but it sounds like you're expecting the getPanel2() accessor to automatically instantiate the second panel? This should work, but you have to define the autoCreate and xtype in your refs config, otherwise it doesn't know how to create it.

See http://docs.sencha.com/touch/2-0/#!/...oller-cfg-refs
    Jason Johnston
    @lojjic

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Default A few follow up questions... including how does forceCreate differ from autocreate?

A few follow up questions... including how does forceCreate differ from autocreate?

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I used your advise and was able to get the second panel to render.

In order for this to work, I updated the controller reference for the panel2 to check Autocreate and I defined the xtype.

For the Xtype I used the alias that I gave to the second panel, I did this because if I simply used xtype as panel, then I get a blank panel.

For my controller action to render panel2 on the button click, I used a single line of code

this.getPanel2().show();

A couple of follow up questions:

1) does the first panel automatically get destroyed? I have been accepting the default in architect of autodestroy for all objects.

2) In the Javascript console I see a message which tells me that my simple one-line method for rendering panel2 is deprecated The message I get is

"Call show() on a component that doesn't currently belong to any container. Please add it to the the Viewport first, i.e: Ext.Viewport.add(component); "

Based on this message, can you suggest the complaint method of rendering panel2 compared to the above approach? I know the error message suggests the coding, but I have been unable to get it right.

3) I have been looking for some discussion of what forceCreate does but have been unable to find it. just curious, can you point me to documentation for this? when would forcecreate be used over autocreate?

Overall, Thanks very much for your help! I wasn't able to find any previous forum questions that were relevant to this, so your help was very valuable.

Vote Rating
    Phil.Strong is a jewel in the rough Phil.Strong is a jewel in the rough Phil.Strong is a jewel in the rough Phil.Strong is a jewel in the rough

I'm glad you got further in dev! I'm not sure forceCreate exists.

In general for Touch you're going to want to be adding/removing things to a viewport or a navigationView. This will help manage the creation and destruction of your views.
    Phil Strong
    @philstrong
    #SenchaArchitect

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Default Viewport has me trying to find it in Architect

Viewport has me trying to find it in Architect

Phil,

Thanks for your help, it was nice to progress, JJohnston was right, and he clued me in to the autocreate option which helped me get further. but then I get the viewport message (see below).

In Architect, I am using Sencha Touch 2.1 (I figured I would try and use the most up to date framework)

I cannot find any component for Viewport. I do see the navigation view. how would i use viewport as a top level container in architect using Touch 2.1?

Also, when I do

this.getPanel2().show();

the Javascript console shows a message which tells me that my simple one-line method for rendering panel2 is deprecated The message I get is

"Call show() on a component that doesn't currently belong to any container. Please add it to the the Viewport first, i.e: Ext.Viewport.add(component); "

Any advice on how I can update my code to avoid this message?

My understanding is that navigationview has a bunch of features (that I may not use), and I guess I was thinking that by avoiding navigationview I could get better performance and maybe a bit more control over the title bar. This resulted in having a panel as the initial view, and other panels as top level peers...

Thanks again!

Vote Rating

You should be able to reference the main viewport with

Ext.Viewport
    Phil Strong
    @philstrong
    #SenchaArchitect

Vote Rating

Perhaps autoCreate does not add it to the viewport and you need to call

Ext.Viewport.add(panel2);

before you call show on it?
    Phil Strong
    @philstrong
    #SenchaArchitect

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Default more progress, but one last question

more progress, but one last question

Phil,

OK, I found the viewport component in architect 2. I was able to get the panel to display in the viewport without having to label any panel as "initial view." I added a viewport to the application node, and the following works from loader function by referencing the panel by its alias (xtype).

Ext.Viewport.add({
    //xclass: 'Myapp.view.Panel2'
    xtype: 'mypanel2'
    });

When I try to display it using a controller reference, it does not work, even when autocreate is checked for the reference.This does not work using getter for controler reference:

var loc = this.getMainviewref();
    Ext.Viewport.add(loc);

not sure why the controller reference does not work when autocreate is checked but no view is listed as initial view and I manually instantiate the initial view component in the launch method.

Thanks for your help!

Vote Rating

I've never been a huge fan of the autoCreate on controller reference. Most of the time I need to pass one or more pieces of information into the config at run time anyways so this method is void.

It sounds like you're moving on to what really matters which is the actual functionality of your app. Good luck!
    Phil Strong
    @philstrong
    #SenchaArchitect

Thread Participants: 2