Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    jhargett is on a distinguished road

Default Can this App be done in Sencha or do I need to make it native?

Can this App be done in Sencha or do I need to make it native?

I have a friend that was interested in having a piece of software that he normally uses on his Windows laptop work on his iPad. This software is a basic database that keeps up with contacts and some statistics and has some reports. He needs to be able to print those reports. I believe there would also be a need to export/import the data to share with others. This app must be private and cannot be in the app store. Also, because of the sensitive nature of the data, it should not be stored on an external server.

My first thought was to turn to HTML5/Sencha. That is where my experience is. I built a quick mock up and it uses the SQL proxy for Web SQL storage. That all works great. I haven't tested printing reports yet, but in theory it should be possible with an AirPrint printer since Safari has print capabilities.

The one thing I am worried about is the export/import of the data and backups. The File API is not yet available on iOS right? So I can't write the data to the file system. How else could I transfer data out of the Web SQL database? I thought of an export button that sends the data to a web service that packages it up, but again, the sensitive data cannot be sent to a server.

Any ideas? Does this have to be a native app?

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Safari will not allow you to CRUD files on the local device. Not sure why you would need to export as it's saved in WebSQL so it will persist. Sounds like you can do pretty much what you want with ST. You actually argue against going native when you said it cannot be in the app store.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    jhargett is on a distinguished road

Right, HTML5 works better for keeping it private. The need for exporting is 2 fold. Backup of the device and sharing data discreetly with other users.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Only a native app will be able to read/write files from local devices.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Thread Participants: 1