Hybrid View

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    OhmzTech is on a distinguished road

Default Sencha.io Message Limits

Sencha.io Message Limits

I was just wondering if anyone could explain what kind of usage limits might be in place when utilizing io to send and receive messages (both directly to devices and through channels). I couldn't find anything in the documentation, so I can only assume there are no hard limits - however I would like to confirm before I move forward with deploying an application utilizing io services. Thanks in advance.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    merrells is an unknown quantity at this point

There's no hard limit.

John

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    OhmzTech is on a distinguished road

Thanks John. I would still like to do whatever I can to minimize the number of messages sent. Would you be able to recommend the best method to check if another device is online? I'm hoping there might be something built-in, as right now I am doing a simple heartbeat over messages and comparing timestamps - which results in a good number of messages that are discarded.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    merrells is an unknown quantity at this point

Implementing heartbeat messages seems like a straightforward way of doing it... you could use device to device messaging... or to be slightly more efficient you could have a channel for each device and then any devices interested in the presence of that device could subscribe to it.

Recently we have been working on a 'very simple device presence service', which would do what you're seeking to do, but without the overhead of all the high level heartbeat messaging. There's no date for the release of that though. Email merrells at sencha dot com if you want to chat with me about that.

John

Thread Participants: 1