Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Sencha Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    40
    Vote Rating
    1
    OhmzTech is on a distinguished road

      0  

    Default Unanswered: Random RPC Timeout Errors

    Unanswered: Random RPC Timeout Errors


    I am experiencing a fair amount of RPC Timeout errors when attempting to call getDevice. I've been seeing these pop up for a while now, and through testing on multiple mobile devices and different browsers I have found that clearing the browser data (localstorage, cookies, etc) fixes the problem. It seems to eventually show up again, and frequently will resolve itself after exiting the app and coming back a while later - which leads me to believe it might be related to some kind of caching timeout it that exists.

    I've dug through a good amount of source code and played with manually initializing the device. This bug seems very hard to replicate, but I cannot find anything my app is doing to impact this. It might seem to happen more often when I am actively developing and refreshing the app frequently. Below is what I'm seeing on the websocket when this happens:

    {"id":1,"kind":"start","data":{"deviceId":"device-1b5c1da9-28e2-4150-b7da-ad8a48665be7","deviceSid":"bb664249-eff7-4eba-af23-dd53d43d2665"}}
    140
    21:48:09
    {"kind":"settings","data":{"heartbeatInterval":25000,"heartbeatTimeout":60000}}
    79
    21:48:09
    {"id":1,"kind":"ack"}
    21
    21:48:09
    {"id":2,"kind":"heartbeat","data":{"time":1358308114450}}
    57
    21:48:34
    {"id":2,"kind":"ack","data":{}}
    31
    21:48:34
    {"id":3,"kind":"heartbeat","data":{"time":1358308139438}}
    57
    21:48:59
    {"id":3,"kind":"ack","data":{}}
    31
    21:48:59
    {"id":4,"kind":"data","data":{"service":"NamingRpcService","from":"device-1b5c1da9-28e2-4150-b7da-ad8a48665be7","msg":{"method":"get","args":["Ext.io.Device","device-1b5c1da9-28e2-4150-b7da-ad8a48665be7"],"corr-id":2},"sv":"0.7","deviceSid":"bb664249-eff7-4eba-af23-dd53d43d2665"}}
    281
    21:49:13
    {"id":4,"kind":"ack","data":{"status":200,"error":null}}
    56
    21:49:13
    {"id":5,"kind":"heartbeat","data":{"time":1358308164426}}
    57
    21:49:24
    {"id":5,"kind":"ack","data":{}}
    31
    21:49:24


    Let me know if I can provide any other information to help assist with this. It doesn't necessarily appear to be a showstopper at the moment, but wanted to bring it up just in case it's an indication of a bigger problem.

  2. #2
    Sencha Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    40
    Vote Rating
    1
    OhmzTech is on a distinguished road

      0  

    Default


    I am actually seeing this happen rather frequently between my original post and now. I have been able to see it happening in both Chrome/Safari, and wrapped up natively on Apple/Android. I haven't been able to figure out a way to resolve it except for refreshing or clearing cache. Let me know if you have any on ideas on things to try or what other information I could provide, Thanks!

  3. #3
    Sencha - IO Dev Team
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    86
    Vote Rating
    5
    Answers
    28
    jason.cline is on a distinguished road

      0  

    Default


    We are investigating the issue. I have seen these errors in production as well. RPC timeouts happen when API calls to the server do not return a result in a given amount of time.

  4. #4
    Sencha Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    40
    Vote Rating
    1
    OhmzTech is on a distinguished road

      0  

    Default


    Thanks for the response Jason. I kept digging into it today, and found I was able to much easier replicate under the following conditions. I turned debugging logs on, but didn't really see anything that stood out.

    -Open Chrome, run app, seems to run fine (at least initially)
    -Open Safari and load up app, continues to run fine
    -Open a second tab in Chrome, run app, and this tab frequently fails with the errors. Looking into Ext.io.Io.messaging and not much information (device, etc) was registered. idStore seemed alright though, but I'm really not sure.
    -Refresh the Chrome tabs periodically will help with reproducing the issue.

    Hopefully this information helps!

  5. #5
    Sencha User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    107
    Vote Rating
    -1
    Answers
    30
    merrells is an unknown quantity at this point

      0  

    Default


    The problem could be caused by running the same app in two tabs of the browser. The two instances of the app will be sharing the same cookies and localstorage... to the system they will appear to be two instances of the same device... and if the system sends a message to the device only one of them will receive it which could be confusing...

    John

  6. #6
    Sencha Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    40
    Vote Rating
    1
    OhmzTech is on a distinguished road

      0  

    Default


    Hi John. That's what I am guessing might be happening, however I have seen the issue happen on both my Android and iOS apps that were packaged via PhoneGap where you would never expect duplicate instances of the application. Of course it's not close to as often as when I'm working on the app through a browser or reproducing it with multiple tables.

Thread Participants: 2

Tags for this Thread