There is a problem with the BufferedRenderer grid's plugin that prevents it from working with data not loaded with a proxy - or at least that's the best way I can summarize it :P

Anyhow, there are 2 scenarios where this can be seen: 1) you directly add records to a store or 2) the store is created dynamically (e.g.) on a hasMany association. Visually the grid will display just a single item and errors will start appearing on the console and the application starts to become instable/buggy.

I've tracked down the problem to the setViewSize method of the BufferedRenderer plugin on the line:
Code:
end = Math.min(start + viewSize - 1, store.getTotalCount() - 1);
In that line ExtJs is querying the totalCount for the store, however, stores created as I described above, do not have a totalCount set, only a count.

I believe the best solution would be to change that call to something like (store.getTotalCount() || store.getCount()) but I'm unsure of the impact of a larger scale. Anyhow, here's a test case:

Code:
<html>
	<head>
		<LINK href="http://cdn.sencha.com/ext/beta/4.2.0.265/resources/css/ext-all.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
		<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdn.sencha.com/ext/beta/4.2.0.265/ext-all-dev.js"></script>
		<script type="text/javascript">
	Ext.require('*');

Ext.onReady(function() {
	Ext.define('User', {
		extend: 'Ext.data.Model',
		fields: [{
			name: 'name',
			type: 'string'
		}]
	});

var aCommonStore = window.storeRef = new Ext.data.Store({
		model: 'User',