Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Dev@QLP is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post
    For licensing point of view. The company is not going to purchase a license for ExtJS 4 only to have ExtJS 5 released couple months ago, is like anything, really.
    Huh? Look here If you buy ExtJS 4 and ExtJS 5 comes out in the next 12 months, you get it for free.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    ettavolt is just really nice ettavolt is just really nice ettavolt is just really nice ettavolt is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Perhaps there's something we could learn from other JS libraries.

Every six weeks: A new stable version of Ember.js, just like in Chrome.
    I don't think anyone can be satisfied with such changes list.
    Even more - we can do this ourselves! I mean 'incrementing version'.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Every six weeks: A new stable version of Ember.js, just like in Chrome.
    I'm trying to turn an organization of a few dozen developers from releasing every 6 months to releasing every 6 weeks and I can assure you that it is not something you just "decide" to do. You have to lay a lot of groundwork. It's not just about branching off every 6 weeks and shoving it out the door, because you'll get poorly tested releases that way and lots of bugs shipping to the customer. You have to change your process so that testing and polishing happens intermittently as part of the coding process, instead of in a big bang testing and polishing event at the end.

Chromium manages it by having extremely rich automated testing and mandating that code must have passed the full set of automated tests on all platforms and have passed a code review cycle before it is checked in. They have their "try" server infrastructure in place to enable developers to run automated tests before committing code. For some projects realizing this is nothing short of herculean, and even if you have solid automated testing in place there's a lot of tooling to be developed, preciously little of which you can get off-the-shelf. If it interests you, they have a slide deck explaining how to work on the chromium codebase.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    pythoner is on a distinguished road

And I wonder about backward compatibility of Extjs 5. Will there be as many changes between 5 vs 4 as with 4 vs 3?

I'm considering Sencha Complete which provides future Ext 5, but I wouldn't like to convert my projects to Ext 4 now, and again later to Ext 5.

Can some member of the development team tell us what Ext 5 is supposed to look like in regard to compatibility?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Grolubao is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pythoner View Post
    And I wonder about backward compatibility of Extjs 5. Will there be as many changes between 5 vs 4 as with 4 vs 3?

I'm considering Sencha Complete which provides future Ext 5, but I wouldn't like to convert my projects to Ext 4 now, and again later to Ext 5.

Can some member of the development team tell us what Ext 5 is supposed to look like in regard to compatibility?
    Exactly my issue! Unfortunately, I reckon Sencha people never clarify on those subjects

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Ext JS 5 will not be as drastic of a change as Ext JS 4 was. We needed to make the drastic changes in Ext JS 4 to become a better framework so Ext JS 5 will build on top of this.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light

Do you have an estimate when we could see Ext JS 5 beta? ...still this year or Q1 2014?

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Q1 2014 is the latest date I have.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dougbieber is on a distinguished road

For us, going from 3-4 was painful but in the long run worth it. Our code is much more readable and 4.2.2 has great speed improvements for trees and grids vs prior 4.x. It's almost as fast as 3.x. The big leap was implementing the "class" system. That's where most of our work was focused.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    monito is on a distinguished road

Default This is valuable information! Bravo!

This is valuable information! Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    Ext JS 5 will not be as drastic of a change as Ext JS 4 was. We needed to make the drastic changes in Ext JS 4 to become a better framework so Ext JS 5 will build on top of this.
    Thank you very much for this valuable information!
    With this fact, we can do the 3 to 4 migration now.