Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    MrSparks has a spectacular aura about MrSparks has a spectacular aura about

Is there an early access program for V5? If its due Q1 2014, there must be a beta version by now? If so how is the V5 framework looking?

Regards
    MrSparks

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparks View Post
    Is there an early access program for V5? If its due Q1 2014, there must be a beta version by now? If so how is the V5 framework looking?

Regards
    MrSparks
    We will be having a private beta and I guess I should clarify. Q1 will be first time people get to see Ext 5 in a beta form, I didn't mean full GA would be in Q1
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    We will be having a private beta and I guess I should clarify. Q1 will be first time people get to see Ext 5 in a beta form, I didn't mean full GA would be in Q1

Thanks for clarifying. I feel its important to point out prior to the 5.x line, that 4.x has been a total mess in so many ways. Thankfully a lot of the (awful - unchecked) fundamental architectural design decision in the 4.x line have been work out now, due to the hard work of the Sencha dev's.

Anonymous Quote "The really frustrating thing is that many parts of Ext JS 4 are faster than 3, it's putting lots of them together that so often slows things down. I never actually worked on the layout stuff so don't want to bash it too much but it's pretty clear that the approach is at fault."

Have lessons be learnt from the 4.x release? Is Sencha now on top of things? Will Sencha wait until the framework is production ready before going GA?

The 4.x line rollout looked something like this.

March 30, 2011 – 4.x (BETA 1)
    April 26, 2011 – 4.0 (GA and behaves like an early beta build)
    October 20, 2011 – 4.0.7 (First stable ish build but still beta levels of bugs)
    April 24, 2012 – 4.1 – (getting there, heading towards release candidate beta level of bugs)
    March 11, 2013 – 4.2.0 (production ready framework - excluding IE 7/8 performance issues)

So based on the above (I hope i'm wrong) maybe we’ll get a 5.x will drop Q2 and will start to stabilise around Q4.

Hopefully it wont take 2 years to get a production ready version of 5.x and everyone is working towards.

Looking forward a 5.x framework we are all happy with.

Best
    MrSparks

Vote Rating
    Nom4d3 is on a distinguished road

I hope they release a "stable" version for the 4.x branch before the 5.x release. I have the Commercial License and is frustrating to be stuck on the 4.2.1 with the knowledge that we have something more stable out there (4.2.2 for support license).Are you guy planing to release a final stable release on the 4.x branch? 4.3 maybe? Date?

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

@MrSparks It's no mystery that 4.0 suffered from some pretty bad performance. In 4.1 and 4.2 branches things have gotten much better because we have learned better ways to doing things than we had so yes we have learned lessons from each iteration. It's important to note that Ext 5 won't be a rewrite like Ext 4 was. There are some new things (MVC Routing, Grid widgets, etc) but lot of it is merging the Touch api with Ext so it should just build on top of where 4.x is currently.

@Nom4d3 Our support usually is that the framework will be supported a year after the next major version is release. For example, Ext 3 is still supported and we have released a couple releases this year so Ext 4 will still be worked on and have maintenance releases. I cannot comment on official releases and dates but once Ext 5 is released, Ext 4 will not just be dropped.

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

@MrSparks It's no mystery that 4.0 suffered from some pretty bad performance. In 4.1 and 4.2 branches things have gotten much better because we have learned better ways to doing things than we had so yes we have learned lessons from each iteration. It's important to note that Ext 5 won't be a rewrite like Ext 4 was. There are some new things (MVC Routing, Grid widgets, etc) but lot of it is merging the Touch api with Ext so it should just build on top of where 4.x is currently.
    Understand it not a re-write but if the only changes are new feature related then that shouldn't be classed as major version change. Whats the big difference going to be between 4.x and 5.x?

Vote Rating

Understand it not a re-write but if the only changes are new feature related then that shouldn't be classed as major version change. Whats the big difference going to be between 4.x and 5.x?
    The attempt to merge the api between Touch and Ext is major work.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light

What browsers will be supported?

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

The attempt to merge the api between Touch and Ext is major work.
    Yes that is a major piece of work. I don't use the Touch framework, so it wont benefit me or EXTJS only Dev's in a tangible way. I was hoping 5.x would be where the performance issues would be finally addressed, however it sound like more more feature clutter and api changes, rather than stability and performance?

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    What browsers will be supported?
    Last I heard the same browsers as Ext 4 will still be supported.

Yes that is a major piece of work. I don't use the Touch framework, so it wont benefit me or EXTJS only Dev's in a tangible way. I was hoping 5.x would be where the performance issues would be finally addressed, however it sound like more more feature clutter and api changes, rather than stability and performance?
    It's not just api changes although the config object (with applies and updaters) is an awesome feature that I love working with in Touch. I was originally against it but it quickly won me over.

Performance is something that we have been serious about. Grid performance will be much much better. Nige has done some wizardry there and it is quite a bit faster. With lessons learned from Ext 4.0, we will constantly look to improve performance. From my viewpoint, a lot of help comes from finding out how people implement the framework so we know where to look for weak points.