Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    sobbayi is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by jchau View Post
    ... Have you tried loading up the demo pages with WinXP, IE7, 2gig ram, 1 cpu?? It takes 3-5s to load. You call that fast?..
    I still have a laptop (XP) with those specs that I actively test and I can confirm that Extjs 4.x loads super fast.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    georgebutton is on a distinguished road

Hopefully could try the EXTJS 5.x in near future. Thank you

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Marcello Dias is on a distinguished road

It became very clear in SenchaCon 2013 that Sencha will still support and optimize code for IE7,for me is a misktake drived by the developers survey.
    I really doubt that the 70% who said that ie7 support was mandatory really balance what they are gaining and what they are losting.
    It is like sayingo you want Ice cream ,I mean one ball of chocolate, one ball of vanilla and another ball of Cherry.
    90% would say, Of course I would like three balls of Ice Cream.
    OH HEY,I forgot to say that Chocolate and vanilla ones will cost you one dollar each, but the cherry one will cost you U$ 2500 dolars.
    Maybe 5% percent,those who really love cherry would pay for this luxury.
    Keeping IE7 probably will increase the price of EXTJS5,delay every release of the plataform, decrease the performance and make things more error prone due to the fact that you really have to write much more complicated code to deal with an illogic browser.
    Even for those who still have XP there are a myriad of other free browsers that could be used and of course IE8,I Can be completely wrong, just my 1,50 cents.

Touch Premium Member suzuki1100nz's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    suzuki1100nz is a jewel in the rough suzuki1100nz is a jewel in the rough suzuki1100nz is a jewel in the rough suzuki1100nz is a jewel in the rough

There has been a fair bit of discussion around the need for legacy browser support.
    Generally there is a large chunk of users of Sencha that require it - mainly in the corporate sector that tend to be slowto move with the times and reluctant to install anything that isn't Microsoft supported.

I used to work for a Bank and this was the case - was like pulling teeth to get then to move from IE6 to IE8.

I would like to see the framework fork at some point - or if Sencha manage to partition the framework well enough into packages have a legacy option that can be turned off.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by suzuki1100nz View Post
    I would like to see the framework fork at some point - or if Sencha manage to partition the framework well enough into packages have a legacy option that can be turned off.
    For me the logical way to fork it is to keep supporting 4.x in maintenance mode for legacy IE and to burn some browser compatibility bridges in ExtJS 5. It's not exactly sensible to be using bleeding edge dev tools on legacy environments anyway.

If sencha only support IE9 and up in ExtJS 5, I would probably grumble along with all the other enterprise developers, but it could be the right call if it simplifies and speeds up the codebase given that I haven't even moved from 3.4 to 4.x yet.

IE8 is going to become the new IE6 though. I still know of companies migrating to IE8, so by the time they migrate away from it we could very well be another 5 years down the line. And the thing is that IE8 at this point has poor enough implementations of newer standards from the HTML5 sphere that it does affect the basic design of the code you're writing.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

In SenchaCon 2013 highlights that I read it was stated ver clear that IW IE 6 and IE7 area Dead but they wull still support IE8.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by dougbieber View Post
    Obviously you're not using IE 8. Both Chrome and Firefox have great performance with 4.x from my experience. Unfortunately many developers are still tied to IE 8. Given this, the performance difference from 3.x to 4.x was quite noticeable. I would imagine, however, that Sencha has squeezed every drop of blood trying to get IE 8 to be faster under 4.x. The only thing we can do now is wait for that browser to die, die, DIE!
    AMEM!!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    mdl@online.no is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by joeri View Post
    For me the logical way to fork it is to keep supporting 4.x in maintenance mode for legacy IE and to burn some browser compatibility bridges in ExtJS 5. It's not exactly sensible to be using bleeding edge dev tools on legacy environments anyway.
    I couldn't agree more. As long as ExtJs 4.x is long term supported, maintaining support for ancient browsers is a huge waste of developer resources when creating an entirely new version of the framework. Dropping support for anything older than IE9 in ExtJS5 will be a huge leap forward.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by mdl@online.no View Post
    Dropping support for anything older than IE9 in ExtJS5 will be a huge leap forward.
    And a huge leap back in revenue, since none of the many (MANY) organizations and government agencies stuck on IE 7/8 would be buying upgrades. I find it highly unlikely that Sencha would leave all that money on the table.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    jchau is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by brian428 View Post
    And a huge leap back in revenue, since none of the many (MANY) organizations and government agencies stuck on IE 7/8 would be buying upgrades. I find it highly unlikely that Sencha would leave all that money on the table.
    $$$. You made a great point. However, I wonder how many organizations that are stuck on IE7/IE8 actually made the upgrade to 4.x given its poor performance on IE7 and huge investment in the upgrade path.