Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    MrSparks has a spectacular aura about MrSparks has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by jchau View Post
    $$$. You made a great point. However, I wonder how many organizations that are stuck on IE7/IE8 actually made the upgrade to 4.x given its poor performance on IE7 and huge investment in the upgrade path.
    Very good point indeed. I seem to recall Sencha advocated sticking with 3.x if you were using legacy browses. On that basis dropping support for legacy ((IE 6&7) browsers in 5.x should be a no brainer. Dropping IE 8 would be a step to far, as its still got a huge install base.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Grolubao is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparks View Post
    Very good point indeed. I seem to recall Sencha advocated sticking with 3.x if you were using legacy browses. On that basis dropping support for legacy ((IE 6&7) browsers in 5.x should be a no brainer. Dropping IE 8 would be a step to far, as its still got a huge install base.
    In our company, when I tried to push ExtJS 4 to the stakeholders, they immediately asked: how is the performance? ---- end of discussion...

We are still stuck with ExtJS 3 because ALL of our clients use IE 7/8

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    brian428 is a name known to all brian428 is a name known to all brian428 is a name known to all brian428 is a name known to all brian428 is a name known to all brian428 is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post
    If they are not moving anywhere from IE 7/8 to 9 then why should the development company invest in a new upgrade (e.g. ExtJS5) only to know the performance is inferior? What is there to gain?
    Obviously, it's because many clients are willing to accept a performance hit if it means expanded functionality. If the new features simplify a workflow that was complex, or offer components powerful enough to eliminate a previously manual process, then a user will happily wait an extra second to use it.

Contrary to what many people here seem to be blindly espousing, performance is not the only factor. Making it easier for users to do their jobs is almost always the primary goal. Performance merely has to be "acceptable". Which is a relative term, but we're talking about enterprise software here, where the bottleneck is usually on the server side anyway (due to complex database queries or algorithms).

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Grolubao is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by brian428 View Post
    Obviously, it's because many clients are willing to accept a performance hit if it means expanded functionality. If the new features simplify a workflow that was complex, or offer components powerful enough to eliminate a previously manual process, then a user will happily wait an extra second to use it.

Contrary to what many people here seem to be blindly espousing, performance is not the only factor. Making it easier for users to do their jobs is almost always the primary goal. Performance merely has to be "acceptable". Which is a relative term, but we're talking about enterprise software here, where the bottleneck is usually on the server side anyway (due to complex database queries or algorithms).
    Yes, but the new features from ExtJS 4 they mostly benefit the developer not the end-user. What functionality does ExtJS 4 has that can't be replicated with ExtJS 3?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    brian428 is a name known to all brian428 is a name known to all brian428 is a name known to all brian428 is a name known to all brian428 is a name known to all brian428 is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post
    Yes, but the new features from ExtJS 4 they mostly benefit the developer not the end-user. What functionality does ExtJS 4 has that can't be replicated with ExtJS 3?
    Superior tree and grid features, greatly improved buffered rendering, and integrated charting are a few key ones. And while the client doesn't directly see the developer-centric improvements, they still benefit through a more productive dev team.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

I will see if I can get an official statement but I think it's a balance of pushing the technology and staying with the legacy browsers.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Ext JS 5 will be officially supported on IE8+. Quirks mode will also not be officially supported either.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by brian428 View Post
    And while the client doesn't directly see the developer-centric improvements, they still benefit through a more productive dev team.
    A more productive dev team is of no consequence to the end user unless and agile software development (or similar) model is being used. If the application is released and is fit for purpose in all areas, then the user has no awareness of the dev team.

So 4.x only really only gave charts, a nicer look / feel and better layouts on browsers. However the penalty was a MASSIVE performance drop for end users and lots of development/bug pain. With regards to grids. 3.x had a great buffered grid plugin... I don't see what the fuss is about grids in 4.x

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparks View Post
    A more productive dev team is of no consequence to the end user unless and agile software development (or similar) model is being used. If the application is released and is fit for purpose in all areas, then the user has no awareness of the dev team.

So 4.x only really only gave charts, a nicer look / feel and better layouts on browsers. However the penalty was a MASSIVE performance drop for end users and lots of development/bug pain. With regards to grids. 3.x had a great buffered grid plugin... I don't see what the fuss is about grids in 4.x
    Don't forget the much better class system in Ext JS 4.x and Sencha Cmd. Ext JS 3.x was VERY monolithic and really not enjoyable to work with compared to Ext JS 4.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Don't forget the much better class system in Ext JS 4.x and Sencha Cmd. Ext JS 3.x was VERY monolithic and really not enjoyable to work with compared to Ext JS 4.
    True but the end user never see's the class system or CMD. The end user will only see the presentation layer... features and usability, which is why performance is so key to applications.