Vote Rating
    dawesi has a spectacular aura about dawesi has a spectacular aura about

try loading anything fast in IE7... I understand the limitations of the IE browser-set and how many people are stuck with IE6 even.

There are some solutions (chromeframe etc), but not all admins, or old computers can run it.

Either way, if you use IE7 on a regular basis, you know the performance.

Use more iframes and other techniques described elsewhere.
    Teahouse Training Company
    Official Certified Sencha Trainer

Australia / New Zealand / Singapore / Hong Kong & APAC

SenchaWorld.com - Sencha webinars, videos, etc
    SenchaForge.org - (coming soon)
    TeahouseHQ.com - Sencha ecosystem training portal

Code Validation : JSLint | JSONLint | JSONPLint

Vote Rating
    Nom4d3 is on a distinguished road

I hope they "finish" the 4.x before try anything on 5.x.

I don't want to have my Commercial License invalidated (3.x/4.x) with a product unfinished. Sencha promised wonderful things before the 4.x release and now is hard to find someone 100% happy with it.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    jchau is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by dawesi View Post
    try loading anything fast in IE7... I understand the limitations of the IE browser-set and how many people are stuck with IE6 even.

There are some solutions (chromeframe etc), but not all admins, or old computers can run it.

Either way, if you use IE7 on a regular basis, you know the performance.

Use more iframes and other techniques described elsewhere.
    Yes, IE7 is slow but guess what, ExtJS was fast BEFORE 4.x. AFAIK, IE7 didn't get slower as time passed so your point is moot.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    plleeuwm is on a distinguished road

Ext 5 ??? You still can't save associations in 4.2.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Alinanila is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by plleeuwm View Post
    Ext 5 ??? You still can't save associations in 4.2.
    Associations?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Alinanila View Post
    Associations?
    http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.1/#...on.Association

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Spiffy is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by jchau View Post
    Yes, IE7 is slow but guess what, ExtJS was fast BEFORE 4.x. AFAIK, IE7 didn't get slower as time passed so your point is moot.
    Why would anyone still try to support IE7? I understand the benefit of backwards compatibility, but at some point you have to move on.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by jchau View Post
    LOL. Stop drinking the kool-aid. ExtJS 4 horrid performance with old browsers is a known fact. Have you tried loading up the demo pages with WinXP, IE7, 2gig ram, 1 cpu?? It takes 3-5s to load. You call that fast? Most users will leave a webpage that takes more than 1s to load.
    Try to load Gmail or Facebook or any other JavaScript-heavy app with that setup and you'll see the same thing. Congratulations, you just confirmed that a WinXP, IE7, single CPU system is slow to load advanced HTML RIAs. What a revelation.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by brian428 View Post
    Try to load Gmail or Facebook or any other JavaScript-heavy app with that setup and you'll see the same thing. Congratulations, you just confirmed that a WinXP, IE7, single CPU system is slow to load advanced HTML RIAs. What a revelation.
    To be fair it was a response to the quote below which is a pretty ridiculous statement imo.

Quote Originally Posted by dawesi View Post
    ExtJS 4 continues to be an amazing product, and still is miles ahead of anything in it's class. The amount of features and the speed in which it operates, even on obsolete browsers (IE6-8) is unparalleled. There's just nothing else that comes close.

Vote Rating
    westy is just really nice westy is just really nice westy is just really nice westy is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
    Why would anyone still try to support IE7? I understand the benefit of backwards compatibility, but at some point you have to move on.
    Oh, and how we'd all love to, really.

I think you'll find many people with Ext JS licenses are working for, or writing products for corporate customers, who are like oil tankers in their turning speed. 90% of our customers are on IE7/8.

It's not going to get any better soon, since even if they upgrade from XP to Win7, that shipped with IE8 so most are using that.

Yes, Ext JS is amazing that it even supports IE7 and 8, and fairly unique in doing so, I think some of the comments in this thread are a little harsh. There's no argument that it was faster in Ext 2/3 though, and in 4 it requires a lot of work and discipline to get the performance acceptable.

The major saving grace is that people who use IE7 day in, day out are used to it's 'performance', so don't kick up too much of a fuss most of the time.
    Saying that though, we have a few customers who have talked their IT overlords into rolling out Chromeframe to a team or two, and that makes them very happy campers indeed...

Cheers,
    Westy
    Product Architect
    Altus Ltd.