Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    jchau is an unknown quantity at this point

any news on performance with large forms? Will a table still be rendered PER field?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    PraveenN is on a distinguished road

May i know the release date of EXT 5?

Touch Premium Member suzuki1100nz's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    suzuki1100nz is just really nice suzuki1100nz is just really nice suzuki1100nz is just really nice suzuki1100nz is just really nice

No official date but try reading post 217 of this thread.

Dates are always open to move but current at late February to early March.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Lukappa is on a distinguished road

Default Migration from ExtJs 4 to ExtJs 5

Migration from ExtJs 4 to ExtJs 5

@sencha devs
    I'd like to know how much will be the impact if we need to migrate an MVC app from ExtJs 4.2.2 to ExtJs 5.
    Do we have to rewrite all the code or maybe the app will work in the same way?

Thank you

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    zerkms is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Lukappa View Post
    Even if you migrate from 4.1.x to 4.1.y extjs may require you to rewrite some (a lot?) of your code.

So I wouldn't expect it to be easy

PS: /me is the one who is still on 4.1.1 because of the bugs that affect me in later versions

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by zerkms View Post
    Even if you migrate from 4.1.x to 4.1.y extjs may require you to rewrite some (a lot?) of your code.

So I wouldn't expect it to be easy
    From the projects I've had going from 4.0.0 and eventually to 4.2.2 (upgrading with each release) I would disagree with this statement. Sure there were some bugs in some releases (4.2.1 had quite a few) but as for upgrading framework versions I had very little issues.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Lukappa View Post
    @sencha devs
    I'd like to know how much will be the impact if we need to migrate an MVC app from ExtJs 4.2.2 to ExtJs 5.

Thank you
    There isn't a lot of API changes and for the most part the upgrade should be easy. There are new features and such that rewriting some code to take advantage of may be required of course.

This is dependent on how much custom stuff and overriding you are doing so there isn't a solid answer to give but the API is largely the same.

The charts is an area where the API has changed a bit.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Vote Rating
    aw1zard2 has a spectacular aura about aw1zard2 has a spectacular aura about

It really depends on how you code using Ext JS library.
    If your doing a lot of overrides then yes it can be a headache.

My team and I work with the library then only if it is needed do we do an override.

We started our work of rewriting our Ext JS 3.1.1 architecture back when 4.0.2 was out.
    With each new release we spent time no more than half a day fixing any issues that came to be.

When we went from 4.0.7 to 4.1.1 it only took me 2 hours to fix any issues. It took me even less time to move things to 4.2.2. But to each their own world, we had no overrides to begin with so debugging and fixing issues are easy.

With 4.2.2 I have a total of 3 overrides that we need because of having to support IE7/8 in my company.

The main thing that helped us was not to rewrite the library with code or overrides but study what the library was doing and make our architecture for screens based on that.

I'm waiting on the public beta of Ext JS 5.x so I can see what issues we have. From different talks I've had with Sencha devs I doubt I will have to change much to get it to work.

Just some simple stats about our main project:
    Browsers supported officially: IE7/8 only
    Browsers supported unofficially: IE9/10/11, Firefox, Safari, Opera, and Chrome
    # of unique screens/views: several hundred total

We of course don't have all the screens/views moved over to 4.2.2 but from the few random screens/views I updated, it was easy to get them working.

As I tell the programmers at my company you can go with the flow of how Ext JS library works or you can try and paddle upstream of raging rapids by going against the library, your choice.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Lukappa is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    There isn't a lot of API changes and for the most part the upgrade should be easy. There are new features and such that rewriting some code to take advantage of may be required of course.

This is dependent on how much custom stuff and overriding you are doing so there isn't a solid answer to give but the API is largely the same.

The charts is an area where the API has changed a bit.
    Thank you for your answer Mitchell.
    Of course my question is not so easy to answer... but as I'm going to build a new (empty) project with ExtJS 4.2.2, what would you suggest to me as "development guidelines" to be ready for the switch to 5.x?

As I see the first one could be "do not override a lot", couldn't? Others (if any)?

I know everybody asked before and you don't know exactly the answer, but I will ask you anyway
    Could we see 5 version in this month?

As you can compare 4.x to 5.x versions, do you think the first release of 5.x will be enough stable to go in production environment? or maybe it will be better to use 4.x?

Thank you!