Vote Rating
    nomack84 will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Comparing AngularJS to Ext JS is like comparing a car to a tire.

Good luck with your decision
    I sense some kind of joke here...

ExtJS and AngularJS are to different frameworks and both of them have their strong points. Ext have widgets which is their strongest point againts Angular, and other great things; but Angular have data-binding, route support, a better MVC design and is by faaarrr more testable than Ext. Also is MIT licenced and the development is open on Github.
    Ext is terrific!!

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by nomack84 View Post
    Angular have data-binding, route support, a better MVC design
    These are incredibly better in Ext 5. Route and data binding is new in 5, MVC you will have view models and view controllers along with the current implementation.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Grolubao is on a distinguished road

I sense some kind of joke here...

ExtJS and AngularJS are to different frameworks and both of them have their strong points. Ext have widgets which is their strongest point againts Angular, and other great things; but Angular have data-binding, route support, a better MVC design and is by faaarrr more testable than Ext. Also is MIT licenced and the development is open on Github.
    I love the fact that ExtJS provides all necessary widgets out of the box, but their MVC implementation is not done properly IMO. The fact that Controllers are aware of the view logic and can actually query on components completely breaks the whole MVC architecture. If you change a button from one place to the other, all of a sudden the controller breaks, which should never happen like in Spring MVC.

Also, the fact that performance wise ExtJS is not good anymore on IE, makes it a though call. It's hard to test Ext since most of the test frameworks rely on ids to fetch the component and one shouldn't use ids in Ext anyway.

I believe the problem in Angular and all these frameworks is that you end up with a mixture of frameworks, which for consistency sake is not good.

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post
    I love the fact that ExtJS provides all necessary widgets out of the box, but their MVC implementation is not done properly IMO. The fact that Controllers are aware of the view logic and can actually query on components completely breaks the whole MVC architecture. If you change a button from one place to the other, all of a sudden the controller breaks, which should never happen like in Spring MVC.
    Like I said before, the MVC is going to be better with view models and view controllers.

Also, the fact that performance wise ExtJS is not good anymore on IE, makes it a though call. It's hard to test Ext since most of the test frameworks rely on ids to fetch the component and one shouldn't use ids in Ext anyway.
    Using Ext JS 4.2.2 for a while, performance on IE is quite good for me. Working in support and doing code reviews on people's applications quite a bit, I find a lot of the bad performance is just how people write their apps. It seems applications are written as quickly as possible instead of thinking about performance. You can have the fastest framework but application can be incredibly slow due to poor programming. Not saying Ext JS doesn't have room for improvement but I feel it's pretty fast for the applications I've built.

As for testing, we currently have over 20,000 specs run so I think it's more of an education issue about how to test Ext JS applications. In fact, last night the specs were run on a pull request I had:

Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 7.37.40 AM.png

I believe the problem in Angular and all these frameworks is that you end up with a mixture of frameworks, which for consistency sake is not good.
    This is a reason why I stay away from the smaller libraries in favor of an more encompassing and actual framework like Ext JS. But if I needed something for a web site then the smaller libraries may be a better choice. It's all about what the project is and why the analogy of tire vs car is actually a very good analogy.

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Sencha - Community Support Team mankz's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all

and is by faaarrr more testable than Ext
    I would challenge this. Just use Siesta, it's built specifically to test Ext JS and it's super trivial to do it. We have > 12k tests for our product suite, more added daily - and best of all it's fun to write tests.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    These are incredibly better in Ext 5. Route and data binding is new in 5, MVC you will have view models and view controllers along with the current implementation.
    Then it seems it's really worth a couple of week of delay And it will be super-awesome if this MVC architecture advocates some kind of TDD style.

Also I just hope this time they release a stable enougth GA version, not like the 4.0 which was a frustrating release for many developers. It's better to take the time to do something better than do something bad because the rush of releasing in time...
    Ext is terrific!!

Vote Rating

Also I just hope this time they release a stable enougth GA version, not like the 4.0 which was a frustrating release for many developers. It's better to take the time to do something better than do something bad because the rush of releasing in time...
    It won't be like Ext JS 4.0 at all. It's basically picking up from where 4.2.2 is adding new functionality/features and more parity with Sencha Touch. With each dot release in the Ext JS 4 branch things have been getting much much better. 4.2.2 is a great release and Ext JS 5 build upon that. I just upgraded an app from 4.2.2 to 5.0 in about 30 minutes so backwards compatibility is extremely high, just a few API changes that our deprecation warnings actually caught most of for me. I do have extremely high hopes that people will enjoy the upgrade path, I'm sure there will still be hell stories but upgrading also depends on your application implementation. I was doing some custom things and overriding methods, I'm not afraid to override private methods and such and it was a breeze for me. I actually expected to fight with it a bit but I didn't.

Vote Rating

Then is really nice to know than ExtJS 5.0 will be the best release so far. I'm really, really excited for all this new featureds.
    Ext is terrific!!

Vote Rating

Then is really nice to know than ExtJS 5.0 will be the best release so far. I'm really, really excited for all this new featureds.
    I'm very excited and excited to hear about what people think about the new stuff like data binding and router (I'm the one to put the router in 5.0 ).

For full disclosure, the only pain point I can see is the charting. You will still be able to use your current charts you may have in your Ext JS 4 app using the ext-charts package. But going forward we won't be adding additional features to the ext-charts package. Instead, we have created a sencha-charts package and the API is a little different. This package is taking the charts in Sencha Touch that have a better code base and more charts. It's not incredibly hard to port to the new sencha-charts, just an extra step. I would very much recommend porting to the sencha-charts as that is what will receive the bug fixes and new functionality going forward where ext-charts is just there for backwards compatibility.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mankz View Post
    I would challenge this. Just use Siesta, it's built specifically to test Ext JS and it's super trivial to do it. We have > 12k tests for our product suite, more added daily - and best of all it's fun to write tests.
    Then I think they should use the docs to let the people know about Siesta. Let me rephrase my statement: they should promote in the guides the use of some sort of testing framework (Siesta) in the same way that Angular does.
    Ext is terrific!!