Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    john76543 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    I'm not going to name who is down voting but just want to make sure it's not blamed on the wrong person and it's not dawesi
    Meh I'm not really interested.

Incidentally, JSIV-9914 says it's scheduled for 4.2.3, is that a typo or are we really expecting 2 more released on 4.2?

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

We are still developing on the 4.2 branch so right now it's planned.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    jchau is an unknown quantity at this point

Mitchell, thank you for reopening the thread. I have made some harsh comments in this thread but it's really out of love for the framework =). I have used ExtJS from 2.1 to 4.2, and I want it to be successful because my butt is on the line for vouching for the framework to my company. Would you be able to tell us if more performance improvements are coming in 4.2 and beyond? The major issues are:

1) DOM generated in IE7/IE8 can be greatly optimized by reducing number of table elements. Divs used in 3.4 are now replaced with table wrappers. This is very evident in form fields.
    2) Layout engine seems to calculate layout more often than needed.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dustyfrog is on a distinguished road

I am quite disappointed about a fourth version and it's grid component. I have written lots of grid components in my life but this is just silly. Back in 1997 I already wanted to add components in grids. Hence I wrote this. Why does a solution like Ext JS 4 and its grid doesn't support it? I don't get it.

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dustyfrog View Post
    I am quite disappointed about a fourth version and it's grid component. I have written lots of grid components in my life but this is just silly. Back in 1997 I already wanted to add components in grids. Hence I wrote this. Why does a solution like Ext JS 4 and its grid doesn't support it? I don't get it.
    At SenchaCon we previewed Grid Gadgets which is a very performant way of having charts and other widgets be used within cells of a grid. This will be part of the 5.x release.

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dustyfrog is on a distinguished road

Yes, the grid gadgets is really interesting. Only I haven't found any clear indication when ExtJS 5 would be come available. Be it production or a beta. We currently hacked the cell editing plugin to fulfil our needs but its not great.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by dustyfrog View Post
    Yes, the grid gadgets is really interesting. Only I haven't found any clear indication when ExtJS 5 would be come available. Be it production or a beta. We currently hacked the cell editing plugin to fulfil our needs but its not great.
    I don't have any dates I can make public at this time. Skirtle (user from forums) has a great extension for this as well: http://skirtlesden.com/ux/component-column

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dougbieber will become famous soon enough dougbieber will become famous soon enough

Obviously, you'll see 4.2.2 and 4.2.3 before any 5 beta. From SenchaCon, they were still pondering if they should put some new features in the 4.x line vs. the 5. So, we'll still be seeing new features along the way. What are those? Don't know.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by dougbieber View Post
    So, we'll still be seeing new features along the way. What are those? Don't know.
    This is one of the problems I have with the way Sencha operates. They play everything so close to the chest that no one outside Sencha has any idea what their plans are. No roadmap, no issue tracker with future ERs, nothing.

I get that they want to keep some surprises in store and prevent competitors from stealing their thunder, but they just take this too far. Companies and developers need something, anything, to plan against. Please, Sencha, loosen up a little and give the people using your products a little bit of information and insight on what you're planning.

Vote Rating
    Misiu is a jewel in the rough Misiu is a jewel in the rough Misiu is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by brian428 View Post
    This is one of the problems I have with the way Sencha operates. They play everything so close to the chest that no one outside Sencha has any idea what their plans are. No roadmap, no issue tracker with future ERs, nothing.

I get that they want to keep some surprises in store and prevent competitors from stealing their thunder, but they just take this too far. Companies and developers need something, anything, to plan against. Please, Sencha, loosen up a little and give the people using your products a little bit of information and insight on what you're planning.
    +1 on that.
    Please add some kind of road map and give us access to normal bugtracker. You guys are using JIRA for bugs tracking, can't we have read only access?
    Right now we don't know what's going on, what is planned.