Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    ikean is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: Non-component based page layouts

Unanswered: Non-component based page layouts

So in my last thread on this forum I pointed to an app raising a question about how we would implement a particular behavior in Sencha Touch.

From reading all the documentation I've gathered that Sencha Touch operates by generating a sequence of components.

I'm wondering, then, how to handle generating pages which more closely mimic pages not clearly defined by interface elements like Buttons, Lists, and TitleBars; pages which have a "freeform" layout similar to what you can generate with HTML layout, but also utilize models (pulling data from the server).

All the Store layouts seem to abide the rigid format of other Sencha components; the most "freeform" of which being DataViews. It is still apparent however, that despite it's flexibility (being able to inject store data into an HTML DOM structure) DataView expects to still be a LIST where each item injects unique data but then generates in sequence with the same markup.

tldr; How would a Sencha developer approach developing a page like this (which is both freeform but clearly pulls data from a server).

Example attached:

NavigationView-without-TabPanel.jpg

Sencha - Community Support Team jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

I would probably not use sencha touch for this. Maybe jqmobile. if you're not using the framework for what it provides, then I question why use the framework at all.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    cydaps is on a distinguished road

How interesting... I was asking the same sort of question in my post a while ago to which I got no response unfortunately and I've been battling with this ever since.... http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?259328-Complex-Layout-with-Sencha-Touch-2-Lists-or-panels-with-tap-listeners

I
    'm somewhat concerned that we've gone down the path of Sencha Touch as this appears to be a solution to meet all requirements, but when I tried to create a non-component based layout it failed. Now I'm wondering whether we should have gone for a more basic html5 approach such as jquery Mobile.... Anyone else any thoughts on this? IS this really true, can Sencha Touch not handle a more html layout for just one page?

Thanks!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Scorpie will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by cydaps View Post
    How interesting... I was asking the same sort of question in my post a while ago to which I got no response unfortunately and I've been battling with this ever since.... http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?259328-Complex-Layout-with-Sencha-Touch-2-Lists-or-panels-with-tap-listeners

I
    'm somewhat concerned that we've gone down the path of Sencha Touch as this appears to be a solution to meet all requirements, but when I tried to create a non-component based layout it failed. Now I'm wondering whether we should have gone for a more basic html5 approach such as jquery Mobile.... Anyone else any thoughts on this? IS this really true, can Sencha Touch not handle a more html layout for just one page?

Thanks!
    Of course Touch can do this, it will however not be best practice to do so. In basic terms, Touch generates HTML, nothing more, nothing less. You can always stuff a container full of html/css or remodel an Dataview completely to create something like the screenshot added above. However, you will not have the advantages that Touch gives you; an centralized, uniform way of creating apps with building blocks that have some sort of flexibility.
    I`m from Holland!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    cydaps is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpie View Post
    Of course Touch can do this, it will however not be best practice to do so. In basic terms, Touch generates HTML, nothing more, nothing less. You can always stuff a container full of html/css or remodel an Dataview completely to create something like the screenshot added above. However, you will not have the advantages that Touch gives you; an centralized, uniform way of creating apps with building blocks that have some sort of flexibility.
    Hi Scorpie, thanks for your comment. I was hoping Sencha could do that. We are using the framework to it's full advantage for the rest of the site, it's just a single page (screen) that needs a very specific layout. It's been based on the IMDb page layout. I've tried to create that using Sencha components such as lists etc, but thus far with no success. I had it working with a series of stacked panels that the user could tap, but the minute I placed that within a navigation View it failed...

I have searched for weeks online trying to find any example of how to build an HTML page within Sencha that is interactive and would trigger a push into a Navigation View, but with no success. I've tried everything I can think of but being a newbie with Sencha Touch I'm lost... I've even tried suggesting different layouts to management but they're fixed on having the IMDb style look. Each of those items links to a different view is the problem for me, I could get it to work with a list in Sencha using XTemplate to create the differing UI but how can I then get each list item to push a different view into the NavigationView? I hope that makes some sense!

Thanks