Sencha Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    sriram139 is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: Indentation practice

Unanswered: Indentation practice

There are multiple ways one can indent their code, two of them that are commonly used styles are as below:

1) Start the block on same line with open brace following the last character of that block header:
    Code:
    if(...){
    <block code>
    }
    2) Start the block in new line with open brace in the next line:
    Code:
    if(...)
    {
    <block code>
    }
    Both these approaches have their own pros and cons.
    However, I want to know which does Sencha team prefers the application developers to follow and reason behind using particular style of indentation. Specifically, I want to know if there are any disadvantages in following the second style of indentation as I feel it helps in improving the readability of code than the former.

Thanks,
    Sriram

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

This is really a matter of developer style. I personally keep it in one line:

Code:
    if (...) {
    }
    And most do that as well. I do see a difference in the else so I see this:

Code:
    if (...) {
    } else if (...) {
    } else {
    }
    but also see:

Code:
    if (...) {
    }
    else if (...) {
    }
    else {
    }
    The 2nd bit I can see useful if you need to add some comments but it just looks weird to me but that's just my code style.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    Dipish is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, it's a little more than just a matter of style.

The "same line braces" way is preferred in JavaScript in order to avoid some quirks with Automatic Semicolon Insertion (ASI).

The classic example is the following:
    Code:
    function foo() {
        return
        {
            bar: "foobar"
        };
    }
    in most js implementations will be equivalent to

Code:
    function foo() {
        return;
        {
            bar: "foobar"
        };
    }
    and of course will return undefined. Of course not all situations involving curly braces are dangerous like this but for the sake of consistency, always put a brace on the same line. As an added bonus, "same-line braces" is a little more compact

More reading:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3218756/javascript-braces-on-new-line-or-not
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3960518/javascript-formatting-must-braces-be-on-the-same-line-as-the-if-function-etc-ke

Thread Participants: 2