Vote Rating
    debianw is on a distinguished road

Default Mobile HTML5 apps close to Native apps some day ?

Mobile HTML5 apps close to Native apps some day ?

Hi Guys,

I would like to know what do you think about HTML5 mobile apps vs Native apps ? How many years to have the same feel of a Native app ?.

I've seen Android is the one that is too far away from iOS when We talk about HTML5 mobile apps. iOS is so smooth.

For example, what about if I want to create a 3D Dashboard with pure HTML5/CSS3/JS that feels like the one that comes in Android 4.1 (main dashboard). When you swipe between desktops it feels so smooth, the 3d effect is so cool, fast, very responsive.
    Think about this. What about if I want to reproduce that same 3d dashboard in a html5 mobile app.

- How close I can get to reproduce that ?
    - How much time We have to wait in order to have the same feeling and responsiveness ?

HTML5 is moving fast but every hit to the DOM is so expensive. Some CSS3 animations is now using the GPU, BUT, are We going to see the same performance between Native and Web apps some day ?.

Thanks

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

What you talk about isn't really a HTML5/CSS3 issue, you can do that currently. It's more the browser performance. The stock browser doesn't have great CSS3 performance, Chrome has better but still has it's issues. Google has given up on the stock browser and put it's effort into the Chrome browser and it does gets updates. Since I don't work for Google I can't really say how long, just can say that in the past year Chrome has been getting better.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    rgporter can only hope to improve

I would also agree, while Android is lacking, iOS and BB10 so far having amazing HTML5 performance. Hopefully Google steps up its game this year.

Vote Rating
    debianw is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Android is the IE6 of the web development world. Well, actually IE6, 7, 8 and 9

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by debianw View Post
    Yeah, Android is the IE6 of the web development world. Well, actually IE6, 7, 8 and 9
    haha, well put!
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Thread Participants: 2