Sencha Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    busaware1 is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: Adding components dynamically - are in DOM but not displaying on screen

Unanswered: Adding components dynamically - are in DOM but not displaying on screen

Hi,

I am using Ext.Create to create a number of components which I am adding dynamically to the screen from a button click.
    One button (when tapped) adds a form component (after filling it with values) and another adds a carousel of images (also added dynamically on a different button tap) - before each add I remove the contents of what I am adding to.

I get no errors - components are in the DOM and take up space on the screen e.g. I can (via chrome) inspect the elements and they are all present with data and laid out nicely.
    But nothing shows on the screen!

Is there a repaint event or something I need to fire after adding these components dynamically?
    Or is there some sequence of events I am missing here...to make it display on screen.
    Any help greatly appreciated...

Code is below.....
    e.g.
    Code:
    // ST 2.1 controller code
    refs: {
                componentIWantToAddTo: 'MyContainer #panelWithinContainer'
            },

// on button tap code
    // create my component - in this case a form
     var cmp = Ext.create('MyApp.view.MyForm', {});

// set the data values - have these already from a store....
      cmp.setRecord(record);

// Remove any existing items from this...
     this.getComponentIWantToAddTo().removeAll(true, false);

// add my component (filled in form - whatever).
    this.getComponentIWantToAddTo().add(cmp);

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    hermanvandermaas is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem, and avoided the remove / add way altogether. I only added items to a container (after checking the item was not already added), and used the setActiveItem(instancename) method of the parent container to get the proper item to show.

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    busaware1 is on a distinguished road

thx - couldnt get this to work either - same problem.
    I ended up embedding the sub xtypes into my parent view and using setHidden(true) or false and that seems to work.
    thx again

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    shepsii is a jewel in the rough shepsii is a jewel in the rough shepsii is a jewel in the rough

Where you can see the elements in the DOM but not on the screen, 99% of the time this is because they are scrollable (or have defaulted to being scrollable) yet they are not inside a "fit" layout or do not have a height or min height set in any other way. Therefore, they get given a height of 0, hence their invisibility in the browser. Sencha Touch thinks its fine for scrollable items to be of any height because the user could just scroll through - not the case of course if the height of the component in the DOM is 0!
    I blog about Sencha Touch at www.senchatouchdev.com

Thread Participants: 2