Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Vote Rating
    pkellner will become famous soon enough pkellner will become famous soon enough

Default I think this is a bug, 2 West panels in border layou

I think this is a bug, 2 West panels in border layou

the attached project does not run, but does display in SA. It let me put to west region panels in a border layout. I think it should have at least given me a warning.

files attached.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/wb0ysrjh43yzjyi/TestForm.7z

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Multiple components in the same region is a new feature of Ext JS 4.1.

Not running is probably due to something else.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Vote Rating

and also not needing a "center"? how would you do layout management of those multiple components in the same region? I thought that is why we had panels in panels

Sencha - Architect Dev Team jjohnston's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jjohnston will become famous soon enough jjohnston will become famous soon enough

The project you attached does in fact run just fine in a browser for me, so I'm not sure if you're seeing some other issue or what.

I assume that your question about "layout management" of multiple same-region panels is referring to how to control their precedence in terms of how adjacent panels dock to the edges? So for example if you have two west regions and a north region, and you want the first west panel to dock first, followed by the north panel in the remaining space, then the second west panel in the remaining space? If that's what you're referring to, then this can be controlled via the "weight" config of each child panel.

It does seem that while the docs say it requires a center panel, the framework will in fact render without one. I'm unsure whether this is by design or not. I think we used to insert a placeholder within the Architect canvas if you don't have a center panel, that would tell you to add one, but apparently we don't do that any more and I don't know if that was intentional or not.
    Jason Johnston
    @lojjic

Vote Rating

sounds like there should at least be a warning if there is not center region (and a bad architecture flag for allowing multiple panels in the same region . Personally, I don't like "magic" for how things behave. the new behavior sounds like you'd have to read the source to know that. I wonder if it was done to keep perf up and not have to layer so many panels.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team jjohnston's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jjohnston will become famous soon enough jjohnston will become famous soon enough

"the new behavior sounds like you'd have to read the source to know that." ... you just mean because the weight control isn't documented well, right? It's only "magic" to you right now because the documentation is lacking? Or do you object to it as "bad architecture" at a deeper level?

I believe you're right, this was done to improve performance. I don't see anything bad about it myself except that it's not documented well.

As for the center-region warning: a warning only makes sense if it's indeed a warnable/error condition. I'm unsure of whether that's the case, given that it renders just fine without a center region, so it might be intentionally allowed. We'd need someone from the Ext team to weigh in on that.
    Jason Johnston
    @lojjic

Vote Rating

Probably, my biggest frustration with ExtJS in general is that so many things are not easily discoverable, or act as you expect. There are a lot of things do act as expected so it's not all bad, I'm just trying to keep those things that don't to a minimum (hence my complaining). I also don't like things like letting there be two "west" regions. that just seems wrong somehow. Better to make a "borderplus" layout then have a border layout that let's you build a "border" multiple layers deep. IMHO of course.

Thread Participants: 2