Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    tkolo is on a distinguished road

Default Data package differences in ExtJS and Sencha Touch

Data package differences in ExtJS and Sencha Touch

Until today i was convinced that data package is shared between ExtJS and Sencha Touch, but i realized it's not. Since it'd be a hard work to browse all the documentation/code to just write down all the differences, could you provide me with a short summary? I'd be also nice to know why it's not shared.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest difference is the config object system that Touch uses but Ext JS does not. For instance, this is how you define a model in Ext JS:

Code:
    Ext.define('MyModel', {
        extend : 'Ext.data.Model',

fields : ['foo', 'bar']
    });
    But in Touch it should be:

Code:
    Ext.define('MyModel', {
        extend : 'Ext.data.Model',

config : {
            fields : ['foo', 'bar']
        }
    });
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Does it mean that my ExtJS model cannot be simply reused if i want to write touch interface for my application?

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Not out of the box for Ext JS 4 and ST 2

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Oh well, thanks for your answers. Two questions remain for me.

1. As i already asked, what's the reasoning behind this? Thinking about it, i can't find a reason why not to share data package, but i don't know ST at all.
    2. Is it a subject to change in the future?

Vote Rating
    tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all

well, you can use it for both in case you do not put anything inside config but on class level. sencha touch will copy it over to config, but you will get lots of deprecated messages.

if you use config it will break for ext js.

if you try to create own logic to put the configs into the config object in case it is touch, you will still get those messages, because the sencha copying logic gets applied as an override as well and probably get executed before your own changes.

best regards
    tobiu
    Best regards
    Tobias Uhlig

S-CIRCLES Social Network Engine

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by tobiu View Post
    but you will get lots of deprecated messages.
    That's that's why as a Sencha Support employee I wouldn't suggest it.

Vote Rating
    tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all

mitch, this was definitely not a recommendation to do it

i just said, that it is kind of possible. in the future this hopefully gets better supported.
    Best regards
    Tobias Uhlig

S-CIRCLES Social Network Engine

Vote Rating

But if you suggest something, it can easily be thought of as best practice.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Is it going tho change in the future? AFAIK data package was unified for ExtJS 4.1.x and ST 2.1.x, at least that's what i conclude from SVN. Would be nice to have it also unified across ExtJS 4.2 and ST 2.2.

Thread Participants: 2