Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Robster is on a distinguished road

Default Desktop web app on iPad .. OR .. iPad app on desktop browser?

Desktop web app on iPad .. OR .. iPad app on desktop browser?

Hi all,

Just downloaded the trial of Architect, it's looking like the tool of choice. Quite impressed.

I'm a bit perplexed I have to say. Currently we make a desktop app for windows using Visual Studio, C#, etc. We want to move it to the web so it can be used on iPad, Android, etc as well as our current clients being able to use it on their existing Windows machines via the browser.

So the question is, and I'm a bit stumped:

Q: Do we make a Sencha Touch app and somehow dynamically change its size (assuming this can be done), or do we make a Sencha desktop app and again, change its size for the tablet users?

What are your recommendations? We'd really appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Rob

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

For a desktop app, you should use Ext JS. For a mobile app, you should use Sencha Touch.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Touch Premium Member suzuki1100nz's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    suzuki1100nz has a spectacular aura about suzuki1100nz has a spectacular aura about suzuki1100nz has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

There are some other posts relating to the correct framework to use for a tablet app.

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?191678-Sencha-Product-development

Depends on how big/complex your app is (widget wize) and whether you are looking at delivering a true desktop app on tablet or your happy with a modified mobile app on tablet.

Key issues are lack of touch events in ExtJS and lack of advanced widgets in Touch
    e.g. Grid, tree, re-sizable containers etc....

Another thing to consider are the devices and their browsers, unfortunately Android browsers struggle in comparison with "others".
    Because of dom weight and rendering performance issues in ExtJS when used on a tablet we decided to use the Touch framework.
    Touch is lightweight in comparison to ExtJS (doest have to cater for legacy IE) and it uses far more CSS3 and webkit tools. This means it doesn't require a Javascript based layout manager and tends to perform well.

I read posts where community members have used ExtJS for tablet on relatively simple apps and it has performed sufficiently well.
    There are some nice UX extensions for the Touch framework - Mitchells touch grid being a good start for grid and tree, and I'm sure Sencha will add more advanced widgets to the Touch framework as demand rises.

Thread Participants: 2