Ext JS Premium Member Brendan Carroll's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Brendan Carroll is on a distinguished road

Default Themes

Themes

I would love to see Sencha roll out some new themes for 4.2 now that their updated structure and methodology is in place. Also, I'm surprised the community hasn't been quicker to respond with some either. I don't want to read too much into it but perhaps generating consistent, usable themes continues to be the biggest challenge in the Sencha toolkit and the new methods are as hard to tackle as the previous.
    -BC ...

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't rely on more default themes in the near future. Using packages now creates a very flexible and powerful way to create themes for your application.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Vote Rating

Out of curiosity, how many have you seen produced on 4.2 outside of Neptune which of course is Sencha?
    -BC ...

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dmackerman is on a distinguished road

I'd love to develop a custom theme for Ext - and I'm trying to figure out the new packaging and theming process before I dive in.

I think what's missing right now is documentation. There's no "go-to" source for learning how to set everything up, which I think is what's confusing people. I'm sure it's coming!

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dmackerman View Post
    I'd love to develop a custom theme for Ext - and I'm trying to figure out the new packaging and theming process before I dive in.

I think what's missing right now is documentation. There's no "go-to" source for learning how to set everything up, which I think is what's confusing people. I'm sure it's coming!
    You've seen this guide? http://docs.sencha.com/ext-js/4-2/#!/guide/theming

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Ah, that's a great guide - thanks! Got everything up and running. Is there an easy way to drop the "Kitchen Sink" app on top of the generated app?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Also, do we need to keep all of the misc. folders in the packages directory?

h7eh.jpg

Vote Rating

If I hear correctly Mitchell, it sounds as though we shouldn't expect to see official themes from Sencha anytime soon. Was it because producing Neptune was so painfully expensive and time consuming?
    -BC ...

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Got another question for you Mitchell.

Is there anyway to compile the SASS without having to run a build every time? Can I just run a compass watch from somewhere? Quite frustrating to have to run a build everytime we make a simple SASS change - especially since the build takes anywhere from 20-30 seconds just on the simple sample generated app.

I've tried running it from the SASS directory with the config.rb - but it says there's nothing to compile.

Vote Rating

Dave,

Sorry I never responded to you on Twitter, had trainer session and I hurt. You're probably tired of hearing about ToughMudder from everyone

The "great" thing about themes as packages is the inheritance that is used. Not only are you able to extend another theme but it also will include your scss files automatically. What I mean by this is if Cmd sees you use Ext.Component and you have a Component.scss file in the /packages/mytheme/sass/src/ directory it should include that file for you. The down side to this is it breaks the compass commands.

About all the packages. By default it will have a package per locale and then the default themes. Technically you could remove the locales if your app will not use them, the themes just depends on the inheritance you have (neptune requires base so you need them both but could probably get rid of classic). I haven't tried removing them but if you don't use them then you should really be safe to remove them. If you need it later on, you could generate a new default app and copy the directories over.