Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    khooten is on a distinguished road

Default Answered: What are Sencha.io storage limitations?

Answered: What are Sencha.io storage limitations?

I have a project that sounds like a really good for for Sencha.io. I need to store data locally on Mobile devices so that users can still work when coverage is not available.

How much data can we store locally on each device? It's typical for a users data in this app to be around 30mb.

How fast is access (search, sort, ...) to that data?

Can we sync only parts of the data? Meaning, could I separate historical data from the current data and only keep what's really current on their mobile and require online access if they need to look back at historical data?

2. Our sync store replicates data into local storage. Local Storage is the limiting factor in how much data can be stored locally.

If you use our data sync or any other system the cap on how much data is generally between 3-5mb depending on the device.

Given your requirement of up to 30mb that will not fit within the limitations of the device itself and would take a very long time to download onto the device even if it would fit. So I would suggest that you design your system so that less data needs to be kept on the device. Even if you don't use sencha.io you will be bound by this limitation.

If you have more data than will fit into local storage you need to provide your own apis to fetch that data. If you have an API that allows for the retrieval of this data then you could fetch the parts of the data that you need then load it into the sync store.

Because all of the data is local to the device access (search and sort) is very fast and can be accessed while offline. Our synchronization algorithm is also efficient because only the fields of the changed records are sent over the network.

Sencha - IO Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    jason.cline is on a distinguished road

Our sync store replicates data into local storage. Local Storage is the limiting factor in how much data can be stored locally.

If you use our data sync or any other system the cap on how much data is generally between 3-5mb depending on the device.

Given your requirement of up to 30mb that will not fit within the limitations of the device itself and would take a very long time to download onto the device even if it would fit. So I would suggest that you design your system so that less data needs to be kept on the device. Even if you don't use sencha.io you will be bound by this limitation.

If you have more data than will fit into local storage you need to provide your own apis to fetch that data. If you have an API that allows for the retrieval of this data then you could fetch the parts of the data that you need then load it into the sync store.

Because all of the data is local to the device access (search and sort) is very fast and can be accessed while offline. Our synchronization algorithm is also efficient because only the fields of the changed records are sent over the network.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

So, I guess I could use a sync store for their current data and use a proxy store for their historical data. That would give them access to the most vital stuff all the time and all the information when online.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Are there any per app or per developer storage limitations? If I have 5,000 users each storing 30mb on average for a total of 150gb will that present a problem with Sencha.io? I know there are device limitations that I will have to negotiate, but if I can deal with that, am I going to run into any Sencha.io limitations?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    lalexgraham is on a distinguished road

Hi Khooten. did you get an answer to your question about how much data you can store in total on sencha.io. I am looking to start an app and to have the data stored in sencha.io but would like to know the limitations before using it.

Thanks

Alex

Thread Participants: 2