Vote Rating
    Gunmen is on a distinguished road

Wink Insearch for a browser emulator

Insearch for a browser emulator

Hey!

I want to know how you test your website in different browsers, e.g. for layout testing purposes. Do you install multiple browsers on your machine? Or do you use other software services (like a browser emulator). Please let me know what service.

Thanks for your insight.

Sencha - Community Support Team JeffHowden's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    JeffHowden is on a distinguished road

Nothing compares to testing in the actual browsers you're deploying to. I currently run IE7, FF2, Opera 9.25, and Safari 3.0.4, all one Vista. If I need to test IE6, I have Virtual PC installed and have an OS image of XP/IE6 provided free by Microsoft that comes in very handy. If I needed to test on a *nix only browser variant, I could simply create a new OS image and install the flavor of *nix necessary there. As far as testing Mac specific issues, I have a Mac here in the office, but rarely ever ruin my day with it.
    Jeff Howden
    Ext JS - Support Team Volunteer
    jeff@extjs.com

Any and all code samples that are authored by me and posted on the Ext forums or website are hereby released into the public domain and I release anyone or entity of liability by using said code samples unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Opinions are mine and not necessarily endorsed by Ext, LLC. Please do not contact me directly for assistance unless requested by me.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    NWilliams is on a distinguished road

For standard designing that doesn't really require much more than making sure the layout is what you expect, you should check out browsershots.org. With that site you can submit a request for an automated machine to load the page you reference and save the results to a file, when your request is processed from the queue you can go back and check them out. It's great if you don't have access to lots of environments and you're not doing hardcore GUI stuff that requires interaction.

Aside from that I use a hackintosh for testing on OS X, along with my standard development pc with Windows Server 2003 R2 and Multiple IEs along with all other major browsers for windows. I also have a linux box to test the linux sides of things - mostly just Firefox and Konqueror.

As I'm developing I use mainly just the windows box for verifying things, but also can boot up my other environments at which point I use Synergy to share the keyboard and mouse between the machines and their monitors... You could also go the Virtual Machine route but if you have extra hardware laying around there's no sense in not distributing it. I also had problems getting OSX running on a VM of the windows box, so a VM wasn't even an option for that.

As far as I know there are not any all-inclusive solutions. I would be interested if there were. However I think the only choice you have is installing them each and testing.

Thread Participants: 2