You found a bug! We've classified it as DSGNR-3728 . We encourage you to continue the discussion and to find an acceptable workaround while we work on a permanent fix.
    Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    elgs will become famous soon enough elgs will become famous soon enough

Default Application Action seems not to work in SA 2.2 build 951

Application Action seems not to work in SA 2.2 build 951

Application Action seems not to work in SA 2.2 build 951.

Vote Rating
    lorezyra will become famous soon enough lorezyra will become famous soon enough

awesome details...

The details are so great that we can fix everything via reading your mind...
    Perfection as a goal is a nice idea that can point one in a specific direction. However, since "perfection" is an ever changing (evolving?) and moving target, one must admit that perfection can never be obtained...

When in doubt, check the d4mn source code!
    ================================================
    And here are my terms...
    1. I don't care if you use my source code. (Known as "Code.")
    2. I don't care if I get any monetary compensation.
    3. I do care to receive credit for Code provided. So, please keep my name in the comments for Code provided.
    4. Code is provided without warranty "AS-IS" and I claim absolutely no warranty nor liability to the quality, security, and run-ability on any platform.
    5. By using Code, you accept all risk inherit with Code regardless if Code has known and yet to be discovered bugs.
    6. You are welcome to change and improve the Code to best meet your needs.
    7. I don't care if you use the Code in a commercial or open-source project.
    8. You are not required to contact me prior to using the Code.
    ================================================
    Simple. Enjoy.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

I'm sorry, normally I'd like to describe problems in very reproducible steps. However, For this one it simply does not make any sense if I add a application action to a controller. Simply create an empty extjs 4.2 project, and create a controller, add a application controller. Nothing seems to be added, yet the source code view on the application controller shows nothing.
    Screen Shot 2013-04-19 at 3.18.27 PM.jpg

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    jim@carroll.net is on a distinguished road

Default follow-up comment (and a question)

follow-up comment (and a question)

1st -- I can confirm this problem also exists for us.

BUT -- that's not really why I'm posting. I was just searching for an explanation of what the difference is between 'Controller Actions' and 'Application Actions' and stumbled across this post.

We've been using SA for some time now. Part of the problem we've had is that we had no prior experience w/ ExtJS, and so our entire experience has been through the lens of SA. The result is we have occasional gaps in our knowledge of the framework. And the 'Application Action' is a perfect example of this.

We regularly create controller actions (by clicking the Actions drop down from the Config panel). We always select 'Controller Action' but have wondered for sometime what the alternate 'Application Action' means. Could someone shed some light? Or even better -- if someone could point me to some either online of offline (ie: books) documentation we could read...that would be even better.

I think the SA/ExtJS system is fantastic. But it's somewhat lacking in the documentation area -- which causing tremendous wasted time trying to figure out how the pieces all fit together.

I should mention we already own the ExtJS in action book from Garcia (the latest edition) AND the ExtJS 1st Look. The Garcia stuff is great (along with his fantastic videos) . But there is NO good documentation on Sencha Architect !!!

Sencha - Architect Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    honestbleeps has a spectacular aura about honestbleeps has a spectacular aura about

elgs: thanks for the report. This seems to be an issue of user feedback from Architect that is insufficient.

If you give your application action a name in the config panel, you'll get codegen for it. A name is required, and we're not communicating that effectively via Architect - I've added a bug to our tracker for us to improve that as well as our messaging/validation. Apologies for the confusion!
    Steve Sobel
    @honestbleeps
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Sencha - Architect Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    honestbleeps has a spectacular aura about honestbleeps has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by jim@carroll.net View Post
    We regularly create controller actions (by clicking the Actions drop down from the Config panel). We always select 'Controller Action' but have wondered for sometime what the alternate 'Application Action' means. Could someone shed some light? Or even better -- if someone could point me to some either online of offline (ie: books) documentation we could read...that would be even better.
    Jim,

We're definitely working hard to improve our documentation - we understand it's in need of improvement in several areas!

To answer your question on when to use what action:

In truth, you can use either one. However, architecturally it makes more sense to use an Application Action for events that happen application-wide and aren't unique to a specific subsection of your app (e.g. just one controller). In a small application, you may rarely find a difference between the two, to be honest.
    Steve Sobel
    @honestbleeps
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Thanks @honestbleeps. It works when the application action has a name now.