Vote Rating
    Answers
    joostvanhassel is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: iOS 7 and Sencha Touch

Unanswered: iOS 7 and Sencha Touch

This might be a bit early, but I'm really wondering how the keynote on iOS7 has been received at Sencha. Sencha Touch has come a long way to approach the native look & feel on iOS, I'm guessing some of the visual effects shown in the keynote today are going to be hard to reproduce in html5 apps (performance wise).

Is this something we should worry about? Looking forward to your views on this subject.

Vote Rating
    Answers
    abe.elias will become famous soon enough abe.elias will become famous soon enough

You can assume that we're already working hard to understand the changes introduced to Safari in iOS7 and how the new look will affect your applications.

I'm more curious about what the community thinks of the changes and new features.

Personally, I'm thrilled that the back button "look" is gone. In it's place, we have a simple "<" which is much cleaner. I'm not a fan of the translucency, and the fonts are probably only going to be "best if viewed on retina." Safari introduces some challenges especially with the introduction of "back" gesture support. Android introduced this "feature" and it's really a horrible UX. It's fine for static pages, but anything with interactivity can't prevent this default behavior. As a result, we are left with the page reloading the prior link.

Jacky and I were playing around in the contacts app and we noticed that the blurred background was actually a live stream of the front facing camera. We were scrolling the list, and seeing shadows of ourselves in the background. Has anyone else experienced this? Pretty creepy or pretty cool?

One thing that really validated what we are doing... iWork in the browser! That was awesome!.

Abe

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    andersvogt is on a distinguished road

I have not had hands on experience with IOS 7 yet, so it is hard to try to assess which of the more advanced features would be most important.

But I think a basic overhaul of the static visuals to align them with the flat white look of IOS7 would make a world of difference. If we keep the old IOS look on our apps it will be only be a matter of weeks after the release of 7 before our users will start telling us that we look OLD.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dmackerman is on a distinguished road

I have a feeling that the UI is still very much in a state of change. It's still the first beta. Many UI elements and more importantly functionality have changed in previous iOS betas.

Vote Rating
    Answers
    joostvanhassel is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply Abe. I like the cleaner interface elements. The "<" instead of a "back"-button you mentioned is a good example, there are several other elements I like, for example the cleaner tab-menu (less gradients). I don't share your worries on fonts; the only device that will support iOS 7 which does not have a retina display is the iPad 2.

I am worried a bit about translucency. Weither we like it or not; our clients are going to expect we support this in our html5 apps as well. This might impose big challenges, as it is going to impact performance big-time. It's worth mentioning the iOS 7 beta does not support tranclucency on the iPhone 4 (and perhaps other aging devices) itself, but even on newer hardware this is going to be a challenge to mimic the effect in html5 apps. This does make me reconsider weither a webview with the UI is the best approach (it's nog the only reason; I'm already unhappy with html UI performance on Android). I still do believe in cross-app development though (of course).

Quote Originally Posted by abe.elias View Post
    Jacky and I were playing around in the contacts app and we noticed that the blurred background was actually a live stream of the front facing camera. We were scrolling the list, and seeing shadows of ourselves in the background. Has anyone else experienced this? Pretty creepy or pretty cool?
    Didn't notice this as my test iPhone is an iPhone 4 (don't want a beta on my main phone), which doesn't support the translucency features (yet?) Guess the effect is funny, but indeed it's a but weird when you realize the camera is actually ON when you're browsing your contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by abe.elias View Post
    One thing that really validated what we are doing... iWork in the browser! That was awesome!.
    Agreed, even though this was aimed at desktops, especially non-Macs (where you don't have a native client). They are not going to remove their iWork apps / make these html5 apps.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    PhilMerrell will become famous soon enough

I started playing around with iOS7. The design is great. Similar to other platforms, it's clean and simplified–it's a breath of fresh air. The thin fonts look great on the retina displays too. The blurred translucent backgrounds are really captivating, but in the end not a big deal. Given time to react I'm sure HTML/CSS can achieve the effect and if not it wouldn't matter anyway. Design fads won't beat out the advantages Touch gives you in enterprise and BYOD environments.

That being said, I think the default Sencha Touch theme is tired and needs to be put to bed. Since it seems there's been some convergence toward clean and simplified designs, I wonder if it would be an opportunity for Sencha to pursue a more platform agnostic design for the default theme. The current default theme is obviously iOS inspired in many regards.

The theming capabilities are nice with CMD and 2.2 but I don't want to redesign apps for every platform. I think it would be great to move toward a design that could feasible seem native on any device.

Swipe to go back in Safari actually works pretty good when you set up routes. In theory it's really no different than dealing with the back button in Android, but I'm sure I haven't realized all the quirks quite yet either.

Vote Rating
    Answers
    abe.elias will become famous soon enough abe.elias will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the feedback. We are very aware of the importance of remaining current. We want the apps that you create to look great out of the box.

I feel that we are going in the right direction. It's been over two years now that we started working on Neptune. The bet we made was risky, get rid of the bordering wherever possible, remove gradients wherever possible, and create a color language to introduce separation. Imagine if the design world went the other direction! After consulting with three prominent design firms, we feel there's a solid version of Neptune in 4.2.

Layout Browser is one of my personal favorites as it shows all the crazy nesting that can go on in an application and how Neptune pretty much holds up with the goals we set out to achieve.

http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.1/e...t-browser.html

You'll see more of the design philosophies of Neptune influence Sencha Touch. I think our color palette needs a little tweaking, but it's difficult to do color math and have all the variants look as good as the original. But we are fine tuning as we get feedback.

Lastly, I feel color blending will be a fad. Remember Vista? or WindowBlinds? There were already a few times in the last few days that I thought my screen had burn in, or was damaged but it turned out that I had scrolled an image behind a toolbar :/ Maybe it's just me, but I like apps that are consistent cross platform - when done well.

Abe

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    JCarlesVilaseca is on a distinguished road

This is a very basic starting point:

http://jsfiddle.net/qYpev/

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    anand.arvind can only hope to improve

Default is there something official coming up for iOS 7 support

is there something official coming up for iOS 7 support

iOS 7 is out in a few days, using ST 2.2.1 and do not see an option to make the UI look like a native iOS 7 app. When is it likely the ST team will be putting something out related to this, will it be on the ST 2.2 codebase or on the new ST 2.3 which is coming out - some clarity and visibility into this would help development teams using ST.

Anand

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by anand.arvind View Post
    iOS 7 is out in a few days, using ST 2.2.1 and do not see an option to make the UI look like a native iOS 7 app. When is it likely the ST team will be putting something out related to this, will it be on the ST 2.2 codebase or on the new ST 2.3 which is coming out - some clarity and visibility into this would help development teams using ST.

Anand
    You can never say 100% whether a version of the framework will support an operating system that comes out after. We just had a blog come out last week that outlines what are some of the things coming in 2.3 including a couple new themes: http://www.sencha.com/blog/whats-com...cha-touch-2-3/
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.