Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    DavidThi808 will become famous soon enough

Default How do these other libraries fit in to the stack?

How do these other libraries fit in to the stack?

Hi all;

I'm totally new to JavaScript.

We are creating a web version of our report designer so a system with a main page that is the template (think word processor), lots of controls for setting properties on tags in the template, and some DB displays to show data returned.

I'm 95% certain we'll use Ext JS for the MVC framework and the controls (still waiting for a response from Sencha's OEM people). But I'm not sure if there are other JS libraries we also need to complete the stack. Or does Ext JS handle everything.

The ones I keep seeing mentioned are JQuery, Node, backbone, Meteor, Ember, & underscore. Are these libraries I should use also, and if so when? Or are they duplicates of what Ext JS provides?

thanks - dave

Vote Rating
    existdissolve is just really nice existdissolve is just really nice existdissolve is just really nice existdissolve is just really nice existdissolve is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by DavidThi808 View Post
    Hi all;

I'm totally new to JavaScript.

We are creating a web version of our report designer so a system with a main page that is the template (think word processor), lots of controls for setting properties on tags in the template, and some DB displays to show data returned.

I'm 95% certain we'll use Ext JS for the MVC framework and the controls (still waiting for a response from Sencha's OEM people). But I'm not sure if there are other JS libraries we also need to complete the stack. Or does Ext JS handle everything.

The ones I keep seeing mentioned are JQuery, Node, backbone, Meteor, Ember, & underscore. Are these libraries I should use also, and if so when? Or are they duplicates of what Ext JS provides?

thanks - dave
    The answer, as with most general questions like this, is "it depends". In other words, depending on what you need your app to do, you may only need to use one...but that's dependent upon the requirements of your application.

Re: the different libraries and frameworks (and yes, there is a very important difference) that you mentioned, the only way you're going to get the answer you need is to 1.) thoroughly research for yourself what each does (and does well) and how it can fulfill the needs of your app 2.) ask the communities relevant to those products very specific questions about how X can help you accomplish Y.

Does ExtJS handle everything? Of course not. Does it help you build really rich and powerful enterprise-scale JS apps? Yep. So the question is, how does what you need for your app fit into what Ext JS (and other libraries and frameworks) provides?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Hi;

I know this is a nebulous question. And if someone asked me about the Java or Windows/.NET stack, I would previously say it depends. But seeing it from this side, where I need to get a decent feel for the stack, I would now try to lay out the basics.

The problem is everything out there talks about how to use X. There's very little about what X is for. And nothing about how the various parts are plugged together and when you should go look for something. And with no good picture of the full stack, I worry at times we'll not use something that would be very helpful, because we don't know it exists.

I do know enough to know this does not map over 1:1 to what I know. Java and .NET are pretty similar. Different products but the pieces, what kind of library to use when, all that is similar. But doing the same for JavaScript - it's not the same.

So a long plea to ask... if anyone knows of any good resource out there that talks about the software stack for JavaScript apps, what to use when, how to look at problems, etc. It would be very appreciated.

thanks - dave

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I don't see how anyone can give you a definitive answer. It's like telling someone to walk into a pitch black warehouse with a match and tell them to correctly sort boxes by size. If the application requirements aren't shown, there isn't a way to tell you you can use x, y and z.

I can say Ext JS will handle quite a bit so using micro frameworks or others rarely aren't needed. Some plugins that people have made for them you may have to make yourself extending Ext JS and doing your custom stuff from there.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold

"How do these other libraries fit in to the stack?"

They don't. Ext JS is a self-contained component library and it doesn't depend on other libraries, although you can use many plugins.

Backbone OTOH is not a self contained library. It's a minimalistic library composed of just 4 classes and it has a hard dependency on jQuery and Underscore. Hard dependency means that you must use these libraries. But, it has also soft dependencies. For example, many developers use RequireJS alongside Backbone. Also, many Backbone developers don't use the micro templating engine provided by Underscore, but instead opt to use e.g. Handlebars. Typically, Backbone is used on projects that require a lot of HTML templates, whereas Ext JS is used on projects where components would be a better fit.

I'm not familiar with Meteor or Ember, but I believe they strive to be self contained as well.

Node.JS is used for building network applications.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Thank you - that is helpful.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Kyle2123 will become famous soon enough

The other tools/frameworks you've mentioned tend to focus on lightweight JS development. ExtJS is a big framework designed for building rich client apps in the browser. I've built multiple large apps on ExtJS and I have yet to find any need to bring in any additional JS libraries/frameworks to get the job done.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Thank you - this helps a lot. Let's me know to stop stressing about it.