Vote Rating
    NBRed5 is on a distinguished road

Default Web Based EMail Client written with Ext

Web Based EMail Client written with Ext

I have spent some considerable time putting together an email client using Ext, and I am now ready to share the fruits of my labour with the ext community.

The application uses just about every aspect of Ext including all of the following:
    1. Viewport
    2. Border Layout
    3. TreePanel
    4. GridPanel
    5. DataView
    6. XTemplate
    7. FormPanel
    8. HTMLEditor
    Feature to particually look for are that windows for each mail folder are defined as constrained to that view and also have a windows window where minimized windows are placed and from where they can be restored by double clicking on them.

Most of the functionality is present and although it will appear that you can send a message it will not actually be sent (too much of a security risk) but it will appear in the Sent Folder.

I still have to finish the code to add/remove private folders and the code to allow the copying/moving of mail from one folder to another.

Also I have not actaully attempted to look at the uploading of attachments yet, and I am investigating various of the file upload components provided the the community for this purpose.

Any comments/questions gratefully received.

This has really been done as an extensive learning exercise for Ext, however if their is enough positive feedback I may progress further and investigate releasing the code commercially (with the appropriate licensing of course).

The server side is based on a php based mail framework called uebimiau which has been extensively modified for use with json and ajax.

demo: http://www.demo.nbred5.com
    user: demo@demo.nbred5.com
    password: demo

Sencha - Community Support Team hendricd's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    hendricd will become famous soon enough hendricd will become famous soon enough

@NBRed5 -- nice job on that, lotsa themes too!

One thing you might consider: In my experience with browser-based mail clients, it has proven advantagious to render mail into an IFrame. This renders the mail body content in CSS 'isolation' from the main page, and any message-embedded style sheets/fragments and scripts(worse) don't interfere with Ext.css, your themes, or the user-experience.

Nice job!
    "be dom-ready..."
    Doug Hendricks

Maintaining ux: ManagedIFrame, MIF2 (FAQ, Wiki), ux.Media/Flash, AudioEvents, ux.Chart[Fusion,OFC,amChart], ext-basex.js/$JIT, Documentation Site.

Got Sencha licensing questions? Find out more here.

Vote Rating
    Marcoi is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Nice Job

Nice Job

also the code editor

very good!!!

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    CPliskin is on a distinguished road

Nice job!

The only things that would be nice:
    1. My laptop has 1280x768 resolution and in messages list I only have 1 message in default application settings.
    2. Preferences window isn't usable under my resolution.
    3. I was confused that I need double click folder to open it (all mail clients require 1 click to open).
    4. I think that last successfull login attempt should store email address in cookie and fill this field for me

I agree with hendricd about iframes.
    Thanks for themes list!

EDIT:
    5. I don't saw cursor in Compose window (message textarea, other fields are OK).

Vote Rating
    genius551v is on a distinguished road

Wow...

Really nice....great work

PD. the set icons...where are you get that?

Vote Rating
    george.antoniadis is on a distinguished road

Woa nice mate! Excellent work!!!!

Most of my problems were about pop-up window sizes... most of them go waayyy below/over my screen... Why don't you load the emails and settings on new tab instead of a popup window?

Also some popup windows load in the center region of the viewport and other on the window screen.

There are many nice scripts that resemble facebook like autocomplete, it would be a very nice addition to the whole thing

Are you thinking of releasing this or it a closed project?
    I'd really like to take a look at it

BUG: contact delete doesn't seem to work... actually it works but then it can't reload the center region
    Code:
    this.centerContactsPanel.contactsStore has no properties
    [IMG]chrome://firebug/content/blank.gif[/IMG]			this.centerContactsPanel.contactsStore.reload();

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    susama is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up open source

open source

open source

franckxx

hi NBRed5,

Is your Web email client is open source ?

Very Very nice work...same as usuall

Vote Rating
    NBRed5 is on a distinguished road

franckxx,

I have still some work to do in tiding up the code, especially on the server side as I am having a number of issues when the mailbox becomes very large, once I have finished resolving these issues and tidied up the code then I will post details that I have updated the demo to get further reaction.

Then I will hopefully package the whole thing up and release as open source or paid for with support, as appropriate under the ext licesencing terms.

That may be a little while off as yet as this is a part time/hobby project and I have a proper job to do as well.