Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    eric.cook will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpie View Post
    I fully agree on jptrainor on this one, i`ve been involved since 2.x and what scares me the most is the fact that I havent seen a test suite bundled together with the ExtJS or Touch framework whatsoever. For me thats a sign that test suites are absent all together.
    This was addressed at SenchaCon. I'm not sure on the details, but some future release of Ext JS (and probably Touch) will come with the full test suite.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the information, but I've been waiting for this since SenchaCon 2010.

http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.1/#!/video/17666102

Skip to around 6:07 if you just want the testing part. It's stated that there are over 4000 unit tests. They also introduce a new product / methodology that was developed in house called Visual QA. It sounds great - taking screen compares for UI regression testing. There were hundreds of these tests.

One of the questions was whether they were going to open this Visual QA up to the public. They said they would (37:06).

I honestly never heard of Visual QA again - did they describe it at this year's conference and give an actual time frame for release? I realize a lot has changed with Ext since 2010, so maybe they use something different now.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very excited for some of the things unveiled at SenchaCon 2013 and I'd love to get my hands on the official test suite. However, I've learned to take conference announcements with a grain of salt. I'll believe it when I can hold it in my hands and break it : )

Quote Originally Posted by eric.cook View Post
    This was addressed at SenchaCon. I'm not sure on the details, but some future release of Ext JS (and probably Touch) will come with the full test suite.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    jptrainor will become famous soon enough jptrainor will become famous soon enough

The presentation is what I like to hear. I had not stumbled across that yet. Thanks. So if they've got tests, then what's happening? They're missing the discipline necessary to ensure that tests are actually written and kept up to date? And where are these? Where they vapour? And why would someone from Sencha not engage in this discussion? When problems crop up people look for reassurance that their investment in time/energy is worth it. The junk that occasionally appears shakes that confidence - and rightly so. Earth to Sencha?

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    rich02818 will become famous soon enough

@firefoxSafari wasn't the 2010 SenchaCon where we were told that ExtJS v4 was *faster* than version 3 and thus resolved the performance problems that had been introduced in v3...

Quote Originally Posted by firefoxSafari View Post
    Thanks for the information, but I've been waiting for this since SenchaCon 2010.

http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.1/#!/video/17666102

Skip to around 6:07 if you just want the testing part. It's stated that there are over 4000 unit tests. They also introduce a new product / methodology that was developed in house called Visual QA. It sounds great - taking screen compares for UI regression testing. There were hundreds of these tests.

One of the questions was whether they were going to open this Visual QA up to the public. They said they would (37:06).

I honestly never heard of Visual QA again - did they describe it at this year's conference and give an actual time frame for release? I realize a lot has changed with Ext since 2010, so maybe they use something different now.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very excited for some of the things unveiled at SenchaCon 2013 and I'd love to get my hands on the official test suite. However, I've learned to take conference announcements with a grain of salt. I'll believe it when I can hold it in my hands and break it : )

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough

@rich02818 You have a good memory ; )

Quote Originally Posted by rich02818 View Post
    @firefoxSafari wasn't the 2010 SenchaCon where we were told that ExtJS v4 was *faster* than version 3 and thus resolved the performance problems that had been introduced in v3...

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    jchau is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by rich02818 View Post
    haha....oh how they have lied to us. hook, line, and sinker!

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    jimmylu98 will become famous soon enough

My two day upgrade experience from 4.1.1a to 4.2.1 is fair. I removed most of 4.1.1a patch except two of them: (1) html editor old value is null (2) grid single selection mode - select/un-select issue. That is not too bad.

However, 4.2.1 introduce one very critical bug for me: grid cell colIndex is incorrect when there are any hidden columns. The grid cell click and grid cell drag/drop will not work, also grid column renderer will have trouble if try to set md.tdCls based on colIndex. Got the patch to fix colIndex issue, then cell editor is not working due to colIndex is not match. Looks like we have to wait for next stable release 4.2.2?

Other minor issues with my apps during the upgrade : (simple patch will fix the bugs).
    (1) grid grouping without set group - grid will not show up.
    (2) grid grouping header name is not use rendered value (same bug in 4.0.x and fixed in 4.1.1a and come again in 4.2.1).
    (3) tree run beforeitemexpand when load tree (4.1.1a is not). It is good fix.
    (4) Grid/tree performance is about same as 4.1.1a after apply my own patch to reduce do layouts.

Wish Sencha can quickly release next stable version without introduce any critical bugs. We still release our application with 3.4.x and not be able to do so with 4.x.x due the critical bugs and performance issue, therefore, I have to develop any new features in our application with both 3.4.x and 4.x.x at the same time.

Vote Rating
    pierrocknroll can only hope to improve

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylu98 View Post
    (4) Grid/tree performance is about same as 4.1.1a after apply my own patch to reduce do layouts.
    Can you provide your patch ? I think it will interest many people !

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    jimmylu98 will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by pierrocknroll View Post
    Can you provide your patch ? I think it will interest many people !
    See below patch and and link for info.

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...l=1#post936004

PHP Code:

//TODO patch need review for every extjs release
    Ext.define('My.patch.data.Store', {     override'Ext.data.Store'//grid performance bug

onProxyLoad: function(operation) {
            var 
    me this,

resultSet operation.getResultSet(),

records operation.getRecords(),

successful operation.wasSuccessful();

if (
    me.isDestroyed) {
                return;
            }

if (
    resultSet) {

me.totalCount resultSet.total;
            }

// Loading should be set to false before loading the records.
            // loadRecords doesn't expose any hooks or events until refresh
            // and datachanged, so by that time loading should be false

Ext.suspendLayouts(); //add

me.loading false;
            if (
    successful) {

me.loadRecords(recordsoperation);
            }

if (
    me.hasListeners.load) {

me.fireEvent('load'merecordssuccessful);
            }

//TODO: deprecate this event, it should always have been 'load' instead. 'load' is now documented, 'read' is not.
            //People are definitely using this so can't deprecate safely until 2.x

if (me.hasListeners.read) {

me.fireEvent('read'merecordssuccessful);
            }

//this is a callback that would have been passed to the 'read' function and is optional

Ext.callback(operation.callbackoperation.scope || me, [recordsoperationsuccessful]);

Ext.resumeLayouts(true);   //add 

}
    });

//TODO patch need review for every extjs release
    Ext.define('My.patch.data.TreeStore', {     override'Ext.data.TreeStore'//grid performance bug

onProxyLoad: function(operation) {
            var 
    me this,

successful operation.wasSuccessful(),

records operation.getRecords(),

node operation.node;

me.loading false;

Ext.suspendLayouts(); // add

node.set('loading'false);
            if (
    successful) {
                if (!
    me.clearOnLoad) {

records me.cleanRecords(noderecords);
                }

records me.fillNode(noderecords);
            }

// The load event has an extra node parameter
            // (differing from the load event described in AbstractStore)
            /**
             * @event load
             * Fires whenever the store reads data from a remote data source.
             * @param {Ext.data.TreeStore} this
             * @param {Ext.data.NodeInterface} node The node that was loaded.
             * @param {Ext.data.Model[]} records An array of records.
             * @param {Boolean} successful True if the operation was successful.
             */
            // deprecate read?

me.fireEvent('read'meoperation.noderecordssuccessful);

me.fireEvent('load'meoperation.noderecordssuccessful);

//this is a callback that would have been passed to the 'read' function and is optional

Ext.callback(operation.callbackoperation.scope || me, [recordsoperationsuccessful]);

Ext.resumeLayouts(true);    // add

}
    }); 

Vote Rating
    pierrocknroll can only hope to improve

OK I understand, thanks ! You've simply added suspend et resume layouts. Nice idea.
    I think this technique could be added in a lot of other internal functions