Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    cooperka is on a distinguished road

Default Text input and textareas don't work with Android predictive keyboards

Text input and textareas don't work with Android predictive keyboards

This is essentially the same issue as http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...tive-keyboards, a bug report for Touch 1.x that is still open and is very similar to the bug I am having. I specified a lot more detail here. Swype comes pre-installed with most versions of Android, and a large percent of Android users use alternate keyboards, so this is a quite a significant issue.

Update: it appears this may actually be a PhoneGap bug, not Sencha Touch. I can replicate the issue by uploading a pure HTML file to PhoneGap, containing a text input or a textarea (not related to Sencha in any way).

REQUIRED INFORMATION

Ext version tested:
    • Sencha Touch 2.2
    Browser versions tested against:
    • Android Browser 4.1
    • Android 4.1 native app through PhoneGap
    • Multiple keyboards, such as Swype (other keyboards used are unknown)
    Description:
    • Text input and textareas don't work with Android predictive keyboards such as Swype.
    • When swyping, normally a space is automatically inserted between words, and the most recently typed word is underlined (in order to quick-backspace full words). None of this happens in Sencha; instead, words are crammed together in one big block and backspacing only goes one letter at a time.
    • When selecting text, the stock browser's Cut/Paste toolbar appears at the top of the screen (which in itself is unusual and not desired) but then when unselecting the text, those commands stay on the screen. See attached screenshot for example.
    • Each device we've tested on or received feedback about seems to have different issues (depending on the version and the type of keyboard), but none of them work as expected. Regular HTML input fields are fine (yes, tested through PhoneGap), it's only when Sencha becomes involved that the issues appear.
    • iOS appears to work fine.
    Steps to reproduce the problem:
    • Run the test case below in an Android app packaged with PhoneGap (apk file is attached for convenience)
    • You can also run it in the browser, but I was unable to get SenchaFiddle to load the files when using my phone (help with this would be appreciated as well)
    The result that was expected:
    • Virtual keyboard (Swype) should work to input text like in any other app
    The result that occurs instead:
    • Virtual keyboard (Swype) is extremely buggy. They keyboard itself is still Swype (the logo appears and it looks the same) but it doesn't insert spaces between words or allow backspacing full words. Selecting text causes even more bugs as shown in the screenshot.
    Test Case:

Code:
        launch : function() {
            Ext.create('Ext.form.Panel', {
                fullscreen: true,
                items: [
                    {
                        xtype: 'textfield',
                        label: 'input'
                    },
                    {
                        xtype: 'textareafield',
                        label: 'textarea'
                    }
                ]
            });
        }

HELPFUL INFORMATION

Debugging already done:Screenshot or Video:
    • [attached]
    • The Cut/Paste toolbar at the top should not be appearing
    • I no longer have any text selected in this image, but the selection box remains. Those handles are no longer draggable, they are simply stuck on the screen.
    Sample APK file:
    • [attached]
    • You can install this file to see the demo. Sorry there isn't a better way that I know of.
    Attached Images
    Attached Files

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

This does look to be a PhoneGap issue.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    tt88 will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    This does look to be a PhoneGap issue.
    I am getting the same behaviour on a Sencha Cmd 4 app packaged for android.

Here is a summary of behaviour:
    - compiled an app for android: sencha app build native
    - have a variety of form views with text fields throughout the app
    - randomly after some time all text fields cannot be populated (I see the predictive text come up in the keyboard, but nothing happens on selecting it)

My device is a Samsung Galexy Note 2, Android 4.1.2 with Swype installed.

Thread Participants: 2