Sencha Premium Member BillHodges's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    BillHodges is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: After 7 days of use, my observations....

Unanswered: After 7 days of use, my observations....

1. The tool seems to be stable. Working all day has never produced a crash.
    2. The custom theming is killer, especially for a lazy CSS person like myself.
    3. I have noticed periods of slowness. The editor sometimes becomes sluggish when processing errors/warning. I've also seen some slowness when I save/publish a project and when dragging components from the Toolbox from the Inspector. This is in comparison to 2.2 running on the same machines (Windows dual core) and with approximately the same peripheral apps running (FireFox, Xampp, mail).
    4. For grins I just opened 2.2 again and it prompted me for an update. I accepted, but the update never completed. I don't know if this has any correlation with the parallel 3.0 install, but both tools are still functioning.
    5. I posted earlier about the Config Properties Filter disappearing. It happened twice in the first couple of days, but has not reoccured since.
    Overall the few problems encountered are overshadowed by the enhanced features, so I plan to continue using 3.0.

Bill

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    Gil Gordon will become famous soon enough

Default thanks for the feedback

thanks for the feedback

Glad to hear you are enjoying the new features. Please do be mindful of the warning about using Architect 3 preview only for evaluation. It will expire and although we are aren't planning any changes that will make it hard to upgrade a project from the preview to 3.0, it may happen.

Can we get a copy of your slow project?

There should not be any interaction between the 2.2 channel and 3 preview channel and the latest version of Architect 2.2 is 991, so if you are running that, you are good.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    mlmcconnell is on a distinguished road

Default My 2 Cents...

My 2 Cents...

I have been using SA3 since the day after I returned from SenchaCon. I love it. The new features make the occasional bugs I've encountered more than worth it. Here are a couple of general observations:
    • It would be great to have the ability to define an existing project as an application template for new projects.
    • Matching brackets, curly braces, parens, etc. are no longer being color coded to indicate a pair within the code editor.
    • Code editing a file (Controllers, for example) or viewing non-editable component files that contain more than a couple of hundred lines of code results in choppy scrolling and sluggishness.
    • When I launch SA3, I'm being prompted to apply an update for SA2.2. I just ignore it, but thought you should know.
    I know this is only preview software, but please make a sincere effort to make the projects created with it viable when the final version is released.

Thanks,
    M. Mcconnell

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    Gil Gordon will become famous soon enough

Default Thanks again

Thanks again

Thanks for the encouraging feedback.

Not long after replying to the original poster saying that there is no connection between Architect 2 updates and Architect 3 I went out and disproved that. We released Architect 3 build 1130 to the public. Those of you running build 1119 from SenchaCon will see an update notification when you launch Architect 3 but the update details will mistakenly refer to Architect 2.2. If you choose to upgrade it really will upgrade Architect 3 correctly. Sorry about the confusion and we are working on fixing the bogus messaging. There are small bug fixes in 1130, but no new features.

On to the specifics:
    1. Yes, we are working on allowing user created Templates. Nothing to report yet.
    2. We will take a look at the code editing speed and color matching issues.
    3. Yes, we will do our best not to break your projects from 3 Preview to 3.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    Frith is on a distinguished road

Firstly, Bill...thanks for your critique...very useful to hear a fellow user's perspective...love the templates suggestion.

Secondly, Gil...when you're working on templates, could you consider dragging and dropping controllers/views/stores/models between instances of Architect? While I do routinely create toolbox components (generating the xdc from SQL stored proc's), sometimes it is more appropriate to just use objects written elsewhere.

Thanks both.

Regards.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light

Default Good Job!

Good Job!

Just wanted to chime in and say good job on this release. I can nitpick some performance and bugs, but overall it seems very stable and high quality, especially for a preview release. The high profile features are all there, too, and seem to work as advertised. It's great to see the product finally maturing and getting things we dreamed about since the first Ext Designer. Importing user extensions is especially impressive. It's great to see extensions I've used for years finally on the canvas in Architect. As an added bonus, the error messages I received during failed import attempts were actually meaningful and helped me resolve the issues!

Almost as important as the quality of the release itself, thanks for following through and getting us the preview so early. I couldn't attend SenchaCon to get the early early release and I was happy that you really delivered and made the preview public in early August.

Looking forward to the GA release.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by firefoxSafari View Post
    Just wanted to chime in and say good job on this release. I can nitpick some performance and bugs, but overall it seems very stable and high quality, especially for a preview release. The high profile features are all there, too, and seem to work as advertised. It's great to see the product finally maturing and getting things we dreamed about since the first Ext Designer. Importing user extensions is especially impressive. It's great to see extensions I've used for years finally on the canvas in Architect. As an added bonus, the error messages I received during failed import attempts were actually meaningful and helped me resolve the issues!

Almost as important as the quality of the release itself, thanks for following through and getting us the preview so early. I couldn't attend SenchaCon to get the early early release and I was happy that you really delivered and made the preview public in early August.

Looking forward to the GA release.
    Thanks for the kind words towards our team. We're working hard to get out the next release which will be our beta.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team