Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    pbienick is on a distinguished road

Default sencha app watch endless loop

sencha app watch endless loop

Hello,

I'm in the process of porting a very large Ext JS 4.1.2 application to 4.2.1, and I'd really like to use the new "app watch" feature to develop a new Neptune-based theme. I'm using Sencha Cmd v4.0.0.126, and while the feature works, it gets stuck in an endless loop the minute I change anything. In other words: it picks up a change, rebuilds, picks up another change, rebuilds, etc. non stop.

I'm on OS X 10.8.4
    Java 1.7.0_17

Would love to get this resolved as this feature is invaluable for fleshing out new themes.

Vote Rating
    slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of

We'd be happy to help troubleshoot.
    Can you provide us with the following:
    OS / environment details
    Your sencha.cfg files for app / workspace / theme
    'sencha diag show' output
    Your build.xml (and build-impl.xml if you've modified it)
    And any changes you've made to the default ant code

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Attached are all the files you requested.

Environment
    OS X 10.8.4
    iMac (recent model with Fusion drive and 32GB ram)
    Java: 1.7.0_17

I did not explicitly create a workspace for this app (for a very good reason). I also did not modify any of the build files or ant code.

If you can't reproduce this, perhaps I can zip up and send you my entire web-app directory, but I'd prefer do that privately.

Paul
    Attached Files

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

With the previous version of Sencha Cmd, I was able to "sencha ant sass" which was a lot faster than "sencha app build" when working on a theme. This seems to be gone in the current build - is that correct or is there some other way to call it? If not, is there a way to revert Sencha Cmd to 3.1.2.342 until this endless loop problem is fixed? Anything other suggestions you have to speed up the theme building process will be greatly appreciated.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Any progress with this? Anything I can do to help?

Vote Rating
    slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of slemmon has much to be proud of

After looking at the source files I'm not seeing anything obvious that would cause the looping.

Can you do the following?
    sencha -debug app watch > {output-directory-of-your-choosing}/watch.log

Since it's looping it'll be running forever adding to that file so you'll have to ctrl-c after a bit to stop it. If you can attach that log we'll look at the log output itself to see what seems to be causing the looping.

But, you should also be able to still do 'sencha ant sass' with no trouble. If that is not working for you are you seeing an error?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

In the process of compiling the information for you, I discovered two things:

First, please note that I did not specifically generate a workspace for this application. I simply ran "sencha generate app" to a web-app directory, so the app lives in web-app/app. (I will eventually create a proper workspace and move the app but not right now).

1. If I run sencha app watch from the app directory, I get the endless loop and sencha ant sass fails due to a missing build.xml in that directory

2. If I run sencha app watch from the web-app directory, it works, and so does sencha ant sass.

So I guess I've been running this from the wrong directory. I respectfully suggest that you make sure this is made clear in the upcoming documentation for this feature. If you're still interested in seeing the debug output from when I tried to run it from the app directory, I was unable to attach it because the file size of 669kb exceeded the maximum of 488.3kb (lovely), so I uploaded a zip file here:

http://bienick.com/app_watch_output/

While running with the debug switch from the app directory, I never saw the "waiting for changes..." message - it just kept spitting out debug output.

Thread Participants: 1