Hybrid View

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    jaggybala is on a distinguished road

Question UTF-8 character problems in the ISO-8859-15 environment

UTF-8 character problems in the ISO-8859-15 environment

Hi,

We use the ExtJS-Window in our application which works fine if its charset is UTF-8! The special characters are messed up in the ISO-8859-15 charset environment (especially when dealing with the [B]

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    jaggybala is on a distinguished road

Or may be it is possible to have "Accept-Charset" as "ISO-8859-15" ?!

At present, firebug shows:

Code:
    Accept-Charset	ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7

Sencha - Community Support Team jsakalos's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future

I have posted several times (please search mainly Premium Help for more details) that best solution is to have everything in UTF-8. Since I've done it for server, server filesystem, mysql, mysql data and browser page (<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> in the head of page, I have had no single problem with characters sets.
    Jozef Sakalos, aka Saki

Education, extensions and services for developers at new http://extjs.eu
    News: Grid Search Plugin, ExtJS 5 Complex Data Binding using MVVM

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    nzosig is on a distinguished road

Default Stuck in same problem

Stuck in same problem

Hello,

I stuck almost in the same problem. I have to work with an ISO-8859-1 Web Application Server and it is not scheduled to change that. I developed my application (a simple grid, 2 simple forms) reading xml-data from the server.

In IE all seems to be fine - but when I use Firefox (2.x) the special chars (umlauts) were converted into strange characters.

When I save the form to the database I have also these wrong chars.

I searched this forum almost 4 days for a solution. But I did not see one. I am almost sure there is one simple solution, but I cannot see it at the moment.

If you got any suggestion please let me know.

Thanks a lot
    Norbert

Sencha - Community Support Team jsakalos's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future

If you cannot change the server encoding you need a UTF8/ISO-8859-1 conversion layer so the client "thinks" it is talking to a UTF8 server. For example:

DB data (ISO) -> conversion -> send to client (UTF8)
    client data (UTF8) -> conversion -> save to database (ISO)
    Jozef Sakalos, aka Saki

Education, extensions and services for developers at new http://extjs.eu
    News: Grid Search Plugin, ExtJS 5 Complex Data Binding using MVVM

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    nzosig is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot, jsakalos. In fact I found that is the only way to solve the problem. It works almost fine, I am using the Ext.util.Utf8 extension, but I have to struggle with some german umlauts, i.e. the umlauts in capital letters.

Another problem is to change the form requests from form.submit() to Ajax.request to have a possibility to convert the umlauts according to the browser, because in IE everything works fine.

I you or anybody else can provide some helping ideas please let me know them.
    Thank you in advance.

Thread Participants: 2