Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Ext User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    37
    Vote Rating
    0
    jaggybala is on a distinguished road

      0  

    Question UTF-8 character problems in the ISO-8859-15 environment

    UTF-8 character problems in the ISO-8859-15 environment


    Hi,

    We use the ExtJS-Window in our application which works fine if its charset is UTF-8! The special characters are messed up in the ISO-8859-15 charset environment (especially when dealing with the [B]

  2. #2
    Ext User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    37
    Vote Rating
    0
    jaggybala is on a distinguished road

      0  

    Default


    Or may be it is possible to have "Accept-Charset" as "ISO-8859-15" ?!

    At present, firebug shows:

    Code:
    Accept-Charset	ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7

  3. #3
    Sencha - Community Support Team jsakalos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    27,521
    Vote Rating
    378
    jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future

      0  

    Default


    I have posted several times (please search mainly Premium Help for more details) that best solution is to have everything in UTF-8. Since I've done it for server, server filesystem, mysql, mysql data and browser page (<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> in the head of page, I have had no single problem with characters sets.
    Jozef Sakalos, aka Saki

    Education, extensions and services for developers at new http://extjs.eu
    News: Grid Search Plugin, ExtJS 5 Complex Data Binding using MVVM


  4. #4
    Ext User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Germany, Upper Franciona, near Bamberg
    Posts
    9
    Vote Rating
    0
    nzosig is on a distinguished road

      0  

    Default Stuck in same problem

    Stuck in same problem


    Hello,

    I stuck almost in the same problem. I have to work with an ISO-8859-1 Web Application Server and it is not scheduled to change that. I developed my application (a simple grid, 2 simple forms) reading xml-data from the server.

    In IE all seems to be fine - but when I use Firefox (2.x) the special chars (umlauts) were converted into strange characters.

    When I save the form to the database I have also these wrong chars.

    I searched this forum almost 4 days for a solution. But I did not see one. I am almost sure there is one simple solution, but I cannot see it at the moment.

    If you got any suggestion please let me know.

    Thanks a lot
    Norbert

  5. #5
    Sencha - Community Support Team jsakalos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    27,521
    Vote Rating
    378
    jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future

      0  

    Default


    If you cannot change the server encoding you need a UTF8/ISO-8859-1 conversion layer so the client "thinks" it is talking to a UTF8 server. For example:

    DB data (ISO) -> conversion -> send to client (UTF8)
    client data (UTF8) -> conversion -> save to database (ISO)
    Jozef Sakalos, aka Saki

    Education, extensions and services for developers at new http://extjs.eu
    News: Grid Search Plugin, ExtJS 5 Complex Data Binding using MVVM


  6. #6
    Ext User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Germany, Upper Franciona, near Bamberg
    Posts
    9
    Vote Rating
    0
    nzosig is on a distinguished road

      0  

    Default


    Thanks a lot, jsakalos. In fact I found that is the only way to solve the problem. It works almost fine, I am using the Ext.util.Utf8 extension, but I have to struggle with some german umlauts, i.e. the umlauts in capital letters.

    Another problem is to change the form requests from form.submit() to Ajax.request to have a possibility to convert the umlauts according to the browser, because in IE everything works fine.

    I you or anybody else can provide some helping ideas please let me know them.
    Thank you in advance.

Thread Participants: 2