Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    lachlan_young92 is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: Complete beginner in sencha

Unanswered: Complete beginner in sencha

Ok so im at university doing ICT and i recently got an internship doing a bit of web design and database developement for a company and they asked me to use sencha to create a full cms website for them but i have never used sencha before and i am so confused, i have a fairly good idea at html5 and css. I have watched the tutorials and they really havent helped me. I quite honestly dont even know where to start and im starting to freak out a bit. Can someone please explain to me how sencha works, they want a cms website with a back end database as well, so if someone could just give me a few pointers or point me in the direction of a beginners tutorial or something that would be awesome.
    thank you so much

Vote Rating
    Answers
    evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute

There's a whole bunch of guides: http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.1/#!/guide
    Evan Trimboli
    Sencha Developer
    Twitter - @evantrimboli
    Don't be afraid of the source code!

Vote Rating
    Answers
    dawesi has a spectacular aura about dawesi has a spectacular aura about

Creating a CMS with Sencha as your first real app development is a pretty massive project. I would recommend using a cms that's built with the languages you know, then you could add features using ExtJS or Sencha Touch. There are some CMS's already around using ExtJS, so you could google that and get a head start.

... still if you're keen to bite off a massive project like that, you need some training, so get them to pay for the official training.
    Teahouse Training Company
    Official Certified Sencha Trainer

Australia / New Zealand / Singapore / Hong Kong & APAC

SenchaWorld.com - Sencha webinars, videos, etc
    SenchaForge.org - (coming soon)
    TeahouseHQ.com - Sencha ecosystem training portal

Code Validation : JSLint | JSONLint | JSONPLint

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    MikeRH will become famous soon enough MikeRH will become famous soon enough

I started with ExtJS about a year ago and I found the framework itself has a steep learning curve even though I am an experienced Javascript developer so depending on the size and the time frame given for completion you may be in over your head. It took me some time of hacking and reading the API docs to become proficient. With that said though, there will be that time that it will all make sense and click in your head, after which the code will start flowing...some people get there quicker than others.

If you wanted to look at some books. For overall description of the framework and how to create components this is a good book http://www.amazon.com/Ext-Applicatio...keywords=extjs

I don't have this one but it seems to take you though building a complete app using MVC http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Ext-...keywords=extjs

Good luck!