Ext JS Premium Member sumit.madan's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    sumit.madan has a spectacular aura about sumit.madan has a spectacular aura about

The day I get to clean out my overrides, I will raise a toast with my colleagues. I have submitted bugs reports which are outstanding for more than an year (check my forum posts). I understand that its a complex library, but there's got to be a better way to manage the releases. And the bugs definitely need to be fixed faster.
    -->

Vote Rating
    aw1zard2 has a spectacular aura about aw1zard2 has a spectacular aura about

Just to clarify we don't use out of the box examples.
    I've always looked more at the source code of things and understand how things are going.

I've written my own JavaScript library for one company I worked for before my current company when Ext JS 1.x was out. So maybe I'm leaning towards my own knowledge of that plus knowing Ext JS for years to not realize from another view on how Sencha is handling things.

My current companies main menu system doesn't look like an Ext JS menu and devs that come in that know JQuery and Ext JS are shocked to see it is an Ext JS toolbar and Menu instead of being done in JQuery.

I'm sure I'll find more bugs as we continue rewriting everything for 4.x. I've already found 2 Menu bugs that no one has caught yet. (I searched the forums to make sure.) 1 of the menu bugs has been posted the other I found just before writing this post.

The flow I was talking about is I create my main design mockup in nothing but Ext JS UI only. Then I start working on events/controllers/models. Once I get the UI flow the way I want I'll start doing css and making it look better. I make sure to keep components in their own files like Ext JS's src folder structure for common components/containers. At the end use Sencha Command to bundle the js files up and remove anything we don't use in the Ext JS Library.

Again I'm not trying to disrespect anyone with this post its just my opinion on things.
    -->

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    sblommers is infamous around these parts

Thank you for clarifying. I think that most people are trying to follow those patterns but that's not the issue at hand (tough it might be the issue for some). This topic is about the stability of the framework and when to expect a new release that fixes a lot of issues people are having. Most of the flaws shouldn't be in the final product at all and still if they are they need to be fixed yesterday. 4.1.3.1 and 4.1.3.2 should have been released months ago. It doesn't matter how good a programmer you are or how many experience you have with this product it is just plain stupid to find out that you spend all that time fixing stuff the product offers to work ... or things that are marked fixed but actually are not 101% fixed.

Maybe my and your experience tells you directly that the version is not stable and you fix it in no-time, post a fix / override / workaround / bug on the forum and hop on to the next adventure. But for newcomers or people with less experience that want to learn keep banging their heads against the wall with open issues that are not fixed in time. They only circle around the given examples and never taste the full potential of the framework just because they are stuck and waiting for a (bugfix) release that never comes.

Don't you agree that as a 'pioneer' things could be better?
    -->

Vote Rating

Yes I do agree with you things could be done better.

But I also remember an old saying my grandfather told me, "No human is perfect so don't expect/assume anything to come from that person to be perfect but that it is the best he is able to do with the knowledge he has."

As I also tell developers at my work treat everything like a 5 year old kid ask questions.
    I go into design meetings and I'm like a broken record why do you need that, why do you want it this way, why must it be like this, and etc. I've had several designers get mad at me because they couldn't answer my questions I simply tell them if you don't know an answer to my question you need to think about it more.

One thing I'd like to see someone do is make a video tutorial for the new users on how to debug with firebug/chrome debugger. A lot of developers don't know what all you can do with firebug even at my work I've had developers come to me after 2 days of trying to fix an issue with Ext JS 3.4 and I use firebug find and fix the issue in less than 30 minutes.

But to get back on topic I have been frustrated with Sencha in the past on how they are with releases it is what drove me to search and figure out what was going on for myself back in Ext JS 2.x. After that I got used to fixing things myself and giving bug posts if I couldn't find the bug/issue I was having in the forums.

And at some point I think all of the veterans of Ext JS have been at that point before.
    Back in SenchaCon 2011 I remember sitting and talking with Jay and Mitch. We was discussing about how the mvc structure was lacking different things we needed for ideas we had. We talked to dev's in the forums showing what we thought would help like being able to call other controllers would make things more flexible Mitch called it subapps I called it Multiple layer mvc but it was the same idea with small differences.

-->

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    sblommers is infamous around these parts

Hah, not going to argue about the wisdom of our elders we have too much to learn.

Do you use DeftJS (http://deftjs.org)?

Those help me out a lot, for the love of IoC *grins wickedly*

Also http://banchaproject.org/ is extremely useful if you need to load a lot of related data

But to get back to the topic, I guess 4.2.2 is already released for support subscribers (i'm GXT subscribed so ... but i can get the nightly builds).
    -->

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    elgs will become famous soon enough elgs will become famous soon enough

4.2.2 works without any problem in my project, yet. Thanks for the release.
    -->

Vote Rating
    Misiu is a jewel in the rough Misiu is a jewel in the rough Misiu is a jewel in the rough

It looks like it's only for subscribers. Probably we'll have to wait until ExtJS5 to get all bugs fixed...
    Quote Originally Posted by terezka View Post
    To make it clear: 4.2.2 release will be available only to Sencha Support subscribers or to public? Thanks.
    -->

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by sblommers View Post
    Hah, not going to argue about the wisdom of our elders we have too much to learn.

Do you use DeftJS (http://deftjs.org)?

Those help me out a lot, for the love of IoC *grins wickedly*

Also http://banchaproject.org/ is extremely useful if you need to load a lot of related data

But to get back to the topic, I guess 4.2.2 is already released for support subscribers (i'm GXT subscribed so ... but i can get the nightly builds).
    I haven't looked at DeftJS or banchaproject.org. Work has been keeping me pretty busy lately with our rewrite to 4.2.2.
    I will add a task in outlook to look at both when I get some free time.
    Thanks.
    -->

Vote Rating
    Misiu is a jewel in the rough Misiu is a jewel in the rough Misiu is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by nttung View Post
    I'm looking forward to 4.2.2 release date. I hope it will overcome the disadvantages of not 4.2.1?
    4.2.2. is already released, it is available to support subscribers, seed download page: http://www.sencha.com/products/extjs/download/
    -->

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    m.dostal will become famous soon enough

Oh, this is bad news... The question now is when can we - non-subscribers - expect new bugfix release. Many of us, like me and my company, have bought valid license for Ext JS 4, and now we have to use almost 5 months old release version, full of bugs. Please, can somebody from Sencha team say something to this?
    -->