Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Qarea is on a distinguished road

"bug fixes for money".
    or even promises for money. I've reported a dozen of bugs with focus manager since last year and no one is fixed now, making me and my customer very unhappy. I can pay for bugfixes, I'm ready to continue buy support subscription for bugfixes, but where are this bugfixes? latest 4.2.2 , that I wait for half of year, fixed one single bug in my app, while 10+ left. I have to pay another 300$ and wait another half year to fix second bug?
    -->

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dougbieber is on a distinguished road

Default Very true

Very true

Here's our list of failed release show stoppers. We haven't upgraded since August 2012. Some only on IE 8 others cross browser. I'm questioning the wisdom of continuing to put our resources into EXTJS.

extjs 4.1.2 - currently in production
    extjs 4.1.3 - dynamically created accordion panel has all panels uncollapsed
    extjs 4.2.0 - SSL alert for IE 8 on every page refresh
    extjs 4.2.1 - Could only activate a menu by clicking on its text, not the blank area around it
    extjs 4.2.2 - getEditor() method is missing from column class - still testing this though but works in 4.1.2
    extjs 4.2.3 - ??????
    -->

Ext JS Premium Member sumit.madan's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    sumit.madan has a spectacular aura about sumit.madan has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Qarea View Post
    or even promises for money. I've reported a dozen of bugs with focus manager since last year and no one is fixed now, making me and my customer very unhappy. I can pay for bugfixes, I'm ready to continue buy support subscription for bugfixes, but where are this bugfixes? latest 4.2.2 , that I wait for half of year, fixed one single bug in my app, while 10+ left. I have to pay another 300$ and wait another half year to fix second bug?
    Exactly! if the bugs are getting fixed on time, then its a decent return on investment in getting a support subscription. Instead, bugs go unfixed for years. And STOP adding new features in minor releases, they BREAK applications, instead concentrate on making the framework more STABLE. I would think that by now Sencha would get it.

It feels like a hacker's framework, as long as you can hunt through the internals, it can be made to work. I loved doing that in 3.x but can no longer afford to do that anymore. My clients need new features, they do not pay me to work on the framework to fix issues.

Perhaps ExtJS is good for corporate licenses or partners, but its pretty frustating for individual developers. I would pay good money for a UI framework without the shenanigans of paywalled bug fixes and minor release breaking changes. Seriously, has the Sencha team even tried to look from the point of view of individual developers?
    -->

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    fdp has a spectacular aura about fdp has a spectacular aura about

I'm totally sure that Sencha developers are quality developers (Don, Nige, Evan, etc.), it is self-evident that this is not the point, even if I should also say that Sencha has lost some really good developers (like Ed and others, this is really bad).

As pointed before, the real point is that we are sayng that Sencha is losing many community quality developers and it is obvious that you can't do all the job inside Sencha but you need Community to go on, who can disagree?

Some weeks ago I was so frustated with bugs with Ext.data module that I spent all the day (more than 8 hours of work by a senior developer) debugging your code, hacking internals as said by @sumit.madan, in only one day I did full report (with description, source code, example, etc.) of 4 verified and classified bugs (you can dig bug forum to verify). Then I realized that at 90% I'll not receive the bugfixed version, I double checked this because I could not believe that Sencha will not share bugfix with me, a community developer who reported the bug!

After that, I decided to make my patches on my own, and I will not report any bug until Sencha changes this absurd politic. I'm sure that many other developers did the same decision, as we can read on this thread, and I think that it is quite obvious that for this reason ExtJS 4 is slowing down. By my experience, if Sencha does not change its mind, it will be soon passed over by some other framework (worse than ExtJS) but more community-friendly.

If I spend time writing down here, it is because I like ExtJS and Sencha and I'm worried about, and I think that @mitchellsimoens should not reply with his questionable sentences.

I like @LisburnLad proposal but I think it is quite difficult to become real.
    -->

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    AlexKorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Downloading 4.2.2

Downloading 4.2.2

This is the first time I've tried to download a support-only version of ExtJS in a few years (4.2.2), and I'm having some troubles. I'd like to be able to download it directly to by server (via wget), but it appears I can't do that unless I'm actually "logged in" to support.sencha.com. Is there any way to do this from my server? I can download it locally, but I'd rather not need to upload a 65MB file from my computer to my server over my fairly slow internet.

(Also, after many minutes of searching on sencha.com, I was unable to find a link to the Support area. Only after remembering the URL was probably support.sencha.com was I able to log into it and even find the link to 4.2.2.)

I realize that Sencha's trying to lock non-paying users out of 4.2.2 (and I'll totally stay out of that discussion for now), but I really wish they didn't make it such a pain for paying customers to get it too.
    -->

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    frm is on a distinguished road

Is Sencha waiting while this thread will be rated out? No comments from them at all...
    -->

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    eric.cook will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by frm View Post
    Is Sencha waiting while this thread will be rated out? No comments from them at all...
    You should have looked harder.

Sencha employees have been actively responding to this thread and the many others like it. What usually ends up happening, however, is that the discussion stops being about productive criticism and starts being about complaining and ranting. There's nothing Sencha can say at that point, so it's better for everyone to just let that "conversation" wind down on its own.

If anyone wants their concerns to be heard in official capacity (not to say the forums aren't official), there's a perfectly good Contact Form for just this purpose.
    -->

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    elgs will become famous soon enough

This thread served the purpose of inquiring the progress of 4.2.2. Now as 4.2.2 has been rolled out, I think further discussions started to be off topic. I understand there are a lot of things we can talk about Extjs, however, I would suggest they will be discussed in separate and more relevant threads. Therefore I will close this thread as the purpose of this thread, as the subject suggested, has been met now.

Finally I would like to appreciate the great efforts by Sencha developers to roll out the usable version of 4.2.2.

Best regards,
    Elgs
    -->