Sencha Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough

Default Unanswered: Relationship between Save to Toolbox and Install User Extension

Unanswered: Relationship between Save to Toolbox and Install User Extension

A few releases ago, Save to Toolbox was a welcome addition. It allowed you to reuse classes that started in Architect. Now we have Import User Extension that imports code that started outside Architect - awesome!

What I would very much like to see now is convergence between the internal format Architect stores these artifacts in. I'm very impressed with the way in which user extensions are stored. The packages concept seems very sound to me and I appreciate the benefits of having the packages in plain file and folder structure.

My big problem with the way the Toolbox works is that it stores it's artifacts in a format that is not readily human readable. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that point - it's been a little while since I looked at that.

I'd like the artifacts created from Save to Toolbox converted to packages and stored in a similar format to the packages created from importing user extensions. It seems to me they're basically the same thing, just started in different places. I'm just thinking ahead to if / when Architect becomes integral to our development process and the steps involved in setting up a new install for someone. A plain file structure seems far superior to me on this point. It should be possible to just move the files around and come up with a fresh install of Architect with all the extra extensions I need. I know you can export individual toolbox components to file, but this doesn't seem that great to me long term.

Any chance of converging Toolbox and User Extensions in the future?

Sencha - Architect Dev Team
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    jminnick has a spectacular aura about jminnick has a spectacular aura about

Great question. We've had a few discussions on this topic but no solid plans as of yet.
    Jason Minnick
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Touch Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    marc.fearby will become famous soon enough

My attempts at saving to toolbox recently (in an attempt to copy a form between projects) was foiled by those projects being a different version of Ext JS (and project upgrade issues).

I think most people would be satisfied in the first instance with the ability to simply copy and paste top-level views (and stores/models/controllers, too!) from one project to another. If I spend hours configuring a form panel that can be used in a completely different project, I don't want to have to recreate it from scratch (or put the time into turning it into a user extension and maintain that as well).

I also haven't found the time to look into user extensions yet, either (on the face of it, ux looks way too complicated for what I need).

Thread Participants: 2