Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    bach_thesis is on a distinguished road

Default Answered: General Questions to Sencha Store Usage?!

Answered: General Questions to Sencha Store Usage?!

Hi@all!

Right now I am starting with Sencha Touch Application Development and I am new to MVC development. My app on the mobile device should connect to a control unit (PLC) via wireless lan and collect data to establish a timeline of the fetched data. Therefore a database is needed to store the data in chronological order. I naturally came across the Store element advised by Sencha. Now my questions:

1) Is something like that possible with the usage of Stores? Any general advises or tips?

2) Are there any limitations regarding maximum size of a store? Or is it just limited by the free space on the hardware? Because the amount of different data is relatively high in my case!

3) Are these Stores saved inside the app? Or is it possible to gain access to them from other Sencha Applications? Or to offer interfaces to other programmers to interact with the stores?

Or is it better to use a traditional SQL based database? Are they accessible through Sencha?

I know these are many questions at once, but i wasn't able to find the answers by myself inside the documentation.

Thanks in Advance!

2. 1. Yes you can store sorted data in stores.
    2. Limited by the memory of the device
    3. No stores are not saved inside your app. Only if you are saving them to local storage which has its own limitations.
    http://diveintohtml5.info/storage.html

With that said you are probably better off using a traditional sql database and using a server side script to interact with the database and return the data to Touch as JSON

Another alternative is to package your app with cordova/phonegap and use its sqllite plugin.
    https://github.com/pgsqlite/PG-SQLitePlugin-Android

Sencha - Support Team
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    fmoseley is just really nice fmoseley is just really nice fmoseley is just really nice fmoseley is just really nice fmoseley is just really nice

1. Yes you can store sorted data in stores.
    2. Limited by the memory of the device
    3. No stores are not saved inside your app. Only if you are saving them to local storage which has its own limitations.
    http://diveintohtml5.info/storage.html

With that said you are probably better off using a traditional sql database and using a server side script to interact with the database and return the data to Touch as JSON

Another alternative is to package your app with cordova/phonegap and use its sqllite plugin.
    https://github.com/pgsqlite/PG-SQLitePlugin-Android
    Get more personalized support via a support subscription.

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out
    Sencha training
    Sencha Touch in Action

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Need to include a test case use:
    The official Sencha Fiddle

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    bach_thesis is on a distinguished road

Thanks fmoseley!
    But I have further questions regarding this topic which came up when i followed the links you provided.

I want to try to build a client-side database, because there will only be one mobile device per control unit and it is not necessary to provide the data to multiple users or devices. I think this makes it a little bit easier. Am I right there?

Therefore I think the cordova sqllite plugin would fit very well, because I have to use cordova in either way to implement my plugin which connects to the PLC.

So thanks for the advice with sqlite for cordova!
    I will test it out and see how it works.

=> Answered!

Thread Participants: 1