Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Marcello Dias View Post
    Doesn´t it get beter if you use Architect or Eclipse?
    I don't use Architect, as my experience over time has always been that WYSIWYG tools are all right for rapid prototyping, but fall short for production code. As soon as you need to go outside of how the tool wants to do things, it gets nasty very quickly.

I haven't used the Eclipse plugin either, since for some reason I have never been able to fathom, it's only available in Sencha Complete. It probably helps some, but since JS lacks typing, the IDE can only parse the raw text of the file and make its best guess at the type of object, or try to use doc comments to determine types. These are "band-aid" solutions, and don't come anywhere close to what something like TypeScript provides (optional static typing and compile-time error checking).

I currently use CoffeeScript for all of my web development, since it provides a limited amount of compile-time checking, automatic linting, and extremely useful syntactic sugar that removes a lot of the pain and ugliness of JavaScript. But I'd switch to TypeScript tomorrow if Sencha actually supported it. Working a lot with Java, Groovy and ActionScript, having to use JavaScript is a massive step backwards in terms of IDE and tooling support.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by brian428 View Post

I haven't used the Eclipse plugin either, since for some reason I have never been able to fathom, it's only available in Sencha Complete. It probably helps some, but since JS lacks typing, the IDE can only parse the raw text of the file and make its best guess at the type of object, or try to use doc comments to determine types. These are "band-aid" solutions, and don't come anywhere close to what something like TypeScript provides (optional static typing and compile-time error checking).

I currently use CoffeeScript for all of my web development, since it provides a limited amount of compile-time checking, automatic linting, and extremely useful syntactic sugar that removes a lot of the pain and ugliness of JavaScript. But I'd switch to TypeScript tomorrow if Sencha actually supported it. Working a lot with Java, Groovy and ActionScript, having to use JavaScript is a massive step backwards in terms of IDE and tooling support.
    Having worked with Ext JS for a long time. Our team had the same problems.
    This one of the reasons why i started the ext4j project. To provide great tooling support on top of Ext JS. http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?256974.
    Hopefully you will find it useful too.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Marcello Dias is on a distinguished road

Although TypeScript is much more elegant and some people say faster ,I doubt SEncha will ever do something in order to integrate it in EXTJS.
    Do they would need to make any agreement with ADOBE?
    What are the plans of Adobe for FLex?
    THey would make a HTML5 version of it?
    It seems there are millions of Flex Developers willing to be adopted by Sencha as their step father.
    http://jessewarden.com/2012/02/sench...evelopers.html

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold

Although TypeScript is much more elegant and some people say faster ,I doubt SEncha will ever do something in order to integrate it in EXTJS.
    Well again, all they need to do to "integrate" it is create a definition file, which is only an API contract. Which would yield many benefits on top of working in TypeScript. My experience parsing the JSDuck docs to generate the TypeScript definition located many (as in hundreds) of places where the API is either inconsistent (e.g. subclass and superclass methods/properties have incompatible types or arguments), illogical (e.g. required arguments appear after optional arguments in method signatures), or where the docs are just incorrect for the class/method/property being documented. These would be very hard to find by simply eyeballing the docs, but as soon as it gets run through a real compiler, the problems come pouring out.

Do they would need to make any agreement with ADOBE?
    What are the plans of Adobe for FLex?
    THey would make a HTML5 version of it?
    It seems there are millions of Flex Developers willing to be adopted by Sencha as their step father.
    http://jessewarden.com/2012/02/sench...evelopers.html
    I really have no idea what you're talking about here, unless you think that TypeScript is an Adobe initiative, which it is not. Microsoft is behind it, but it is a completely open source project.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

[QUOTE=b

I really have no idea what you're talking about here, unless you think that TypeScript is an Adobe initiative, which it is not. Microsoft is behind it, but it is a completely open source project.[/QUOTE]
    Forget about ,I really got confused,I had a friend who was a Flex programmer and the guy talked so much about TypeScript that I tought they were from the same company

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Now that IḾ in the middle of a EXTJS book I understand what people say the learning curve,for me the problem is reallY JavaScript,How verbose and ugly it is.
    I really miss Object Pascal,I know it is completely different since it has to run in Browser has to lead with the DOM,but it is really Ugly.
    TypeScript would introduce static Type Checking,but it is Ugly too.
    I really wanted something like INTRAWEB,we wrote the code in Object Pascal and didnt even know that the DOM Existed.
    But Extjs is what I have for today,and I might get used to Javascript since NODE.JS uses it too,I didnt like COffeScript EIther.
    Maybe Iḿg getting too old to learn new tricks.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

I know SEncha have descomplicated Javascript a little bit for us,but What I Was looking for is something like this:
    LblAddress.Colour:=Clblue;
    It does not matter it is inside a Panel that is inside another Panel,I have just one LblAddress in this form.
    And Why Should I use something like FIndCOmponent(LblAdress)?,Everything is inside the form ,since i have code compeletion I won´t write wrong code,and If I do the compiler will not let it go to production.
    The frameWork would insert Findcomponent for me.
    You see more when you write less,just it.
    But I´ve been reading the book for just soem days,maybe I´ll eat my words in a near future.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Adobe one is ActionSCript .

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

I think this thread got a little side tracked. I'm just gonna throw my thoughts at some of the OP's questions trying not to get my Sencha-fanboy on.

Quote Originally Posted by rajeevprasanna View Post
    Time taken to learn and ease to use ? Some blogs are suggesting kendo ui learning curve is fast as it is developed on Jquery compared to Sencha Js. Learning Sencha is difficult ?
    This has been answered quite well in that Ext JS and Sencha Touch do have a high learning curve but that moment when it "clicks" and you understand how things are can come quite easy. We are doing some things to help in this aspect. I've never liked JQuery's flat API so the learning curve of it wasn't what prevents me from working with it, it's the lack of OO API organization that really does help in larger projects.

Which one is easy to debug and enhance ?
    Over the years I've built countless extensions/plugins/classes and with the inheritance and class structure I feel Ext JS/Sencha Touch comes out on top here. Debugging, I'm comfortable with setting a breakpoint and stepping around code so debugging is quite easy. Ext JS/Sencha Touch does try to help with better error messages but some error messages can be cryptic.

Which one has more HTML5 support ?
    Sencha Touch has been more geared towards webkit browsers and now supports IE10+. Usually this question is asked being too general as people want to support HTML5 but don't really know what that means for their application requirements.

Performance on mobile devices ?
    If you use Sencha Cmd to build a Sencha Touch app then Sencha Touch comes with better performance. We cache your app in localstorage so subsequent loads happen much much faster than loading via network. Performance also highly depends on the programming dev(s) put in. If the code isn't good, doesn't matter if the framework performs well; I see this a lot.

External support like documentation and wikis?
    I'm sorry but the doc app that Ext JS and Sencha Touch has is great and the API documentation has quite a lot of information. Documentation can always be better but I think the API documentation for Ext JS/Sencha Touch is much better. The guides and such have hit roadblocks with keeping them up to date though.

Which one has more enhancements & development in pipeline ?
    Like the HTML5 question, this question is quite generic. Being a developer on both Ext JS and Sencha Touch I can say that there is constant work being done on both frameworks both for patch, dot and major releases.

Which is preferred for highly scalable cloud based applications ?
    I'm not really sure if this is much different than the performance question. It's really about your cloud servers and how you set them up.

Availability of source code for modifying for internal product development ?
    Each Ext JS/Sencha Touch release gives you the source code split up into their different files based on the class name. We don't expose the git repo to accept community pull requests. Support offerings are similar.

Kendo is providing theme builder. Is this feature so special which is not available in Sencha ?
    Ext JS and Sencha Touch both use SASS where you can do quite a lot with changing a couple variables. Sencha Architect 3 has theme building built in where it provides a UI behind the SASS and you can see the changes within Architect.

which one is light weight framework
    This depends on your needs. People love to say Ext JS and Sencha Touch are much bigger because they just go with ext-all.js to compare where your app may not use everything in the framework and using Sencha Cmd and proper requirements in your application can yield much smaller builds.

Ease of testability and support of existing test frameworks
    We use Jasmine internally for testing along with many other things internally. For your application, Jasmine should work just fine for you.

People are suggesting kendo UI beats sencha in browser speed. Is it true ? What are the ways to improve performance?
    Once again, this depends on many different factors that could be it's own thread as it's a huge topic.

I have come across some statements like minified version of js file is also very large to use. It is not good to use multi page applications. This is mainly intended for single page applications. It is correct ?
    Ext JS and Sencha Touch are meant for single page applications as called a web app.

What are the main important areas where Sancha Js beats Kendo UI ?
    Many of these questions are just too big for a single thread. Ext JS and Sencha Touch have a much larger set of UI components plus the data package is quite solid (minus associations to be fair). There are more jQuery devs than Sencha devs so there may be more devs that can be more familiar with Kendo but if you are looking for a framework to handle a medium to large web app, Ext JS and Sencha Touch are untouched IMO.

Does sencha js provides more complex widgets than kendo UI ?
    Complex? What do you mean? Kendo is a smaller UI collection where Ext JS and Sencha Touch provide more components, act as a proper framework and usually provides configs or methods you can use to accomplish anything under the sun.

Ok, I kind of got my Sencha-fanboy on...
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

This is one reason I really, really wish Sencha would get behind TypeScript,.
    Are you aware of this project?
    https://github.com/borisyankov/Defin...e/master/extjs