Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    almagnit is on a distinguished road

Default GXT 3.1 beta

GXT 3.1 beta

In a blog you reported that public beta will be available in late October.
    http://www.sencha.com/blog/gxt-roadmap-update

When can we expect the public release?

Tnx.

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light

We've got a few details that are still being tested and fixed before we are ready to put out a beta, but we're nearly there. Support users can always pull down a nightly build of either the 3.0 or 3.1 branches, as well as the source itself in SVN.

GWT is about to cut a release branch for 2.6, and until we have tested against that, we won't be happy releasing - 2.6 makes (by my count) three API changes that affect us from GWT 2.4 and 2.5, so either we need to hold on to the beta until 2.6 is easy to get, or we need to ship something that is incompatible with 2.6. Waiting for a GWT nightly lets us make sure that anyone who tests GXT 3.1 beta is also testing the GWT 2.6 release branch, so that we find bugs in both and get them both ready for a sooner release. Ideally we'll be releasing GXT 3.1 final shortly after GWT 2.6.0 has gone out.

No one likes hearing this, I know, but here it is anyway: It'll be ready when its ready.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    margozzi is on a distinguished road

I think resetting expectations is all anyone can ask for. Your response seems very logical even if dissappointing. Thank you very much for the timely response to this important question. I cam e to the forum for this exact purpose and was glad to see a thread was opened on the matter.

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light

Glad to hear it is helpful, even though it isn't the answer you were looking for.

For the support subscribers who check out the 3.1 code, it still uses GWT 2.5.1 - we have an alternate branch that we keep with the (so far) necessary 2.6 changes:
    * IE6/7 permutation dropped, IE10 permutation added
    * com.google.gwt.dev.util.Strings removed, re-namespaced guava to be used instead
    * Benchmark classes removed
    * ImageResourcePrototype constructor changed
    * Element added final toggleClassName and hasClassName, must be removed from XElement

Once we're getting nightly GWT builds, we'll merge this into GXT 3.1, and we'll be in a position where we can start testing for a beta release in earnest. In the meantime, we're taking advantage of the otherwise awkward situation and continuing work on GXT 3.1.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Well, it's been two months since the last post on this thread. Is there any news on GWT 2.6? I am really hoping to be able to upgrade to GXT 3.1 sooner rather than later. I know you are dependant on GWT 2.6. i searched and was unable to find any info on GWT 2.6. Do you have any update or estimated time of arrival?

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating

GWT 2.6 has had a few regressions, and rc3 was cut a week or so before GWT.create, but still wasn't quite there. After the conf ended, a number of contributors have been on vacation, and while the mailing list is picking back up again to prepare the next RC, it isn't there just yet. In the meantime, if you don't need Java 6 support, GXT 3.1 nightly builds work pretty well against GWT 2.6-rc3. We're taking this extra time to continue to build out the themebuilder to handle as many widgets as we can - DatePicker, Buttons, and Menus are the main remaining pieces, along with some simple decoration stuff like Tree/ListView highlighting and dnd, everything else is either merged or will be by the end of this week. If the GWT 2.6 release pushes past one more RC, we may just ship a beta anyway to get it out there, but we'll need to evaluate that based on what the next RC ends up looking like.

GWT follows the "its done when its done" release strategy for better or worse, and while the nightly builds are usually pretty reliable, we know that most of our users don't like to live that close to the bleeding edge, so we'll be targeting the GWT 2.6 release rather than something a little closer to the nightly build. Getting that long-term reliable build takes time, and especially since the GWT community members at Google aren't in a position where they can test with IE6-9 or Java 6, the rest of the community plays a big role in this process.

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating

Whoops, I missed it! GWT 2.6.0-rc4 went out about three hours ago, we'll start our testing with this new candidate starting tomorrow, as today is essentially over with...

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Thanks for the response Colin. We are VERY interested in the theme builder! In fact, I would say that is the one thing we are most interested in. I look forward to 3.1. It was great to finally meet you at the conference as well.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    walkerr is on a distinguished road

Also watching this thread with interest. Keen to test our stuff on 2.6 and a compatible GXT

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    almagnit is on a distinguished road