Ext GWT Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    raj.adama is on a distinguished road

Default GXT 2.2.6/2.3 with GWT 2.6

GXT 2.2.6/2.3 with GWT 2.6

I hope 2.2.6 and 2.3 will have backward compatibility with GWT 2.6. We tried to compile our application with GWT2.6 RC1 and in both cases we are seeing exceptions during binding.

For 2.2.6, we get
    [INFO] [ERROR] Errors in 'jar:file:/C:/devtools/libs/.m2/repository/com/extjs
    /gxt/2.2.6/gxt-2.2.6.jar!/com/extjs/gxt/ui/client/widget/form/HtmlEditor.java'
    [INFO] [ERROR] Line 548: Type mismatch: cannot convert from com.google.gwt
    .dom.client.Element to com.google.gwt.user.client.Element

Any feedback is appreciated?

Thanks
    Raj

Ext GWT Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    terciofilho is on a distinguished road

In the GWT 2.6.0 RC1 Release Notes(http://www.gwtproject.org/release-no...otes_2_6_0_RC1) they say:
    • All API's that used to take com.google.gwt.user.client.Element (which has long been deprecated) now take a com.google.gwt.dom.client.Element instead.
    That said, I think that GXT will have to change all Element instances to the dom package.

It's straighfoward, as the implementation of the Element from user package is like this:

Code:
    public class Element extends com.google.gwt.dom.client.Element {
      protected Element() {
      }
    }
    If Sencha doesn't update, it may be easy as a simple search/replace in the GXT source code.

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    branflake2267 will become famous soon enough

There are changes in the hopper to deal with integration of GWT 2.6* but there planned for 3.1. I'll check with the team to see what the status of back porting those are.

Do you have plans on upgrading to a newer GXT release?

Brandon

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light

It turns out to not be anywhere that simple, since there are several places inside of GWT that expect user.client.Element or return user.client.Element, so we can't simply make the cut all at once. With so many GWT developers gathered for GWT.create this week, I'm hoping we can discuss going even further for the final GWT 2.6.0 release, but we'll see how it goes.

The minimal set of changes that can be made is very small - I believe it is just a single cast added to each HtmlEditor, El, and TreePanel, and this patch works all versions of GXT trunk (i.e. won't break compat all the way back to GWT 1.7). That said, Java6 support is still broken as of GWT 2.6.0-rc3, so I'm not counting on anything until the final is out in the wild.

We're interested in adding support for GWT 2.6, but as this is the legacy version at this time, support cannot come at the cost of breaking the currently supported legacy versions of GWT - as noted, we support back to GWT 1.7. While for you it may be perfectly okay to drop support for such old versions of GWT, other GXT users might say the same thing about GXT 2.x .

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    dronvano is on a distinguished road

Hello Colin,

Thank you for you answer. There is one and most important thing I don't understand whether there are solid plans to support GWT 2.6!?
    Honestly, we're more interested in profiting from new features of GWT 2.6 using GXT 2.x branch.

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light

Dronvano, that's certainly your prerogative, but GXT 3 is under more active development and is significantly better performing than GXT 2. The upcoming (yet currently incomplete) GWT 2.6 release will remove support for IE6 and 7, and while it does add a few improvements and bug fixes, this is not intended to be a major release.

GXT 2 is very much the legacy version - we support all the way back to GWT 1.7. This means that when GWT finally removes old deprecated classes like DeferredCommand, etc, GXT 2 will either have to drop GWT 1.7 support, or will no longer be able to be updated. You say you'd like to use an old version of GXT (i.e. 2.2.6, released Just 4, 2012) with a bleeding edge version of GWT - others would prefer to use a new version of GXT (2.3.1) that supports an old version of GWT (1.7).

Under GXT 3 we've elected to instead only officially support the latest GWT release, and aim for the next release or so of GWT to also be automatically supported where possible.

Ext GWT Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    jwendel is on a distinguished road

For my company, we'd probably prefer having the latest GXT2 (2.3.x) support GWT 2.6.0 if possible. But it sounds like the changes the GWT team is making to core classes is making this very difficult for Sencha.

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating

It is our goal to keep GXT 2 working well with the current releases as long as we support it (Sencha supports the two most recent major releases of any product, so GXT 2 support will be ended when GXT 4 is released, targeted for late summer, after GWT 3 arrives). We're focusing our efforts right now on GXT 3.1, but with that in a stable state we will take a closer look at GXT 2.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    oucem is on a distinguished road

Hi
    in case to migrate my modules from GXT 2.2.4 GWT 2.5.1 to GXT 2.31 and GWT 2.6.0(or 2.6.1-rc1) ;
    i got this error:
    [ERROR] Errors in 'jar:file:/C:/Users/XXX/.m2/repository/com/extjs/gxt/2.3.1-gwt22/gxt-2.3.1-gwt22.jar!/com/extjs/gxt/ui/client/widget/form/HtmlEditor.java'[INFO] [ERROR] Line 548: Type mismatch: cannot convert from com.google.gwt.dom.client.Element to com.google.gwt.user.client.Element[INFO] [ERROR] Errors in 'jar:file:/C:/Users/XXX/.m2/repository/com/extjs/gxt/2.3.1-gwt22/gxt-2.3.1-gwt22.jar!/com/extjs/gxt/ui/client/widget/treepanel/TreePanel.java'[INFO] [ERROR] Line 1634: The constructor El(Element) is undefined.
    Any help is appreciated

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    oucem is on a distinguished road

Hi
    in case to migrate my modules from GXT 2.2.4 GWT 2.5.1 to GXT 2.31 and GWT 2.6.0(or 2.6.1-rc1) ;
    i got this error:
    [ERROR] Errors in 'jar:file:/C:/Users/XXX/.m2/repository/com/extjs/gxt/2.3.1-gwt22/gxt-2.3.1-gwt22.jar!/com/extjs/gxt/ui/client/widget/form/HtmlEditor.java'[INFO] [ERROR] Line 548: Type mismatch: cannot convert from com.google.gwt.dom.client.Element to com.google.gwt.user.client.Element[INFO] [ERROR] Errors in 'jar:file:/C:/Users/XXX/.m2/repository/com/extjs/gxt/2.3.1-gwt22/gxt-2.3.1-gwt22.jar!/com/extjs/gxt/ui/client/widget/treepanel/TreePanel.java'[INFO] [ERROR] Line 1634: The constructor El(Element) is undefined.
    Any help is appreciated