Vote Rating
    jtittler is on a distinguished road

Default I NEED the VS plugin

I NEED the VS plugin

I LOVE this idea. We use TFS for SCM and project management, and I find Sencha Architect to be very limiting. I've been a software engineer for 17+ yrs. Coding is what I do. I find WYSIWYG limiting. And the amount of problems I've had trying to get a Windows Phone Cordova project working in VS. The Intellisense, Windows Phone Development would be very helpful.

Anyone have some hints on getting things configured well to work in VS? My project doesn't recognize views, controllers, and models. You can respond to me off-thread.

Thanks,
    Julie

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    ncc1701 is on a distinguished road

+1

At the very lease something that can provide robust Intellisense.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
    At the very lease something that can provide robust Intellisense.
    What you're looking for is extremely difficult, which is one of the fundamental problems with JavaScript in the first place (if not THE fundamental problem).

All an IDE can really do is parse all the text in all the files in the tree and make brute-force guesses about what object you're working with and what members are available on it. And even that is only what an IDE can infer from the code, and doesn't even account for dynamic changes to the objects which can occur at runtime.

This lack of decent pre-runtime (non-JIT) tooling is why I'm happy that TypeScript is gaining traction. As far as IDE support goes, a transpiler is the only viable option until JS adopts enough of the ECMA standard to support non-JIT compilation.

Believe me, I feel your pain. I came from the Flex/ActionScript world, and also do a lot of Java/Groovy development. So I experience this discrepancy on a daily basis.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Maxeta is on a distinguished road

We're actually not asking for much. I don't see how "extremely difficult" this is... considering it's already been done for Eclipse, as shown here: http://vimeo.com/49176749.

Now why not just use Eclipse you say? Well we do... but our back-end uses .NET (WCF for REST based web service development, and NHibernate for our database connectivity), plus a myriad of other .NET libraries, and our source control (Plasctic SCM) is integrated with VS as well.

So we'd absolutely love for some front-end assistance for ExtJS in Visual Studio as well. It would basically help to consolidate all our development into a single environment, as ease the transition into ExtJS for our newer developers.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of

Again, the Eclipse plugin is really just making guesses. It has a bit of custom help (e.g. if you're in the config block for a Grid, it knows most of the config keys available). But that's really all it can do. Once you start passing references around, it all breaks down because the IDE has no idea what class types you're dealing with.

So yes, getting basic code hinting within a single config block will partially work. If that's all you want, I'm surprised VS doesn't do this already. IntelliJ IDEA does a passable job on this without any special plugins and so on, just using its built-in JS editing features. For me at least, this falls pretty far short. With Java (and C#, TypeScript, or just about anything else that compiles), the IDE actually knows what type everything is, regardless of where you use it. And that also means true error checking, code analysis, and so on. It's the lack of these sort of features that drives me nuts when I'm writing JS.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough

Strong tooling that goes beyong autocompletion for Sencha Tools.
    This is one of the reason why we created Ahomé-Touch and Ahomé-Ext

If Java is not a problem for you, you might wanna give it a try

http://opensource.ahome-it.com/#ahome-touch
    http://opensource.ahome-it.com/#ahome-ext

Vote Rating
    Misiu is a jewel in the rough Misiu is a jewel in the rough Misiu is a jewel in the rough

Any updates on this?