Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    maokue is on a distinguished road

Default [Q] I never built an app or web site before

[Q] I never built an app or web site before

Hi Folks,

I hope everyone is doing great
    I just want to know is it possible to start developing apps with Sencha since it requires some background knowledge on Java script and HTML5 as I have never used those lang to build a website or any kind of web app.

Let me hear your answers

Cheers

Sencha - Support Team scottmartin's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forums.

ExtJS is more for building web applications vs web sites.

It is certainly possible, but there will be a bit of a learning curve. The best place to start is to have a look at our examples to see what is possible and then there are several books available to get you started.

JS Book:
    Javascript: The Good Parts

ExtJS in Action: Second Addition:
    http://www.manning.com/garcia3/

Basics:
    http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.2/#...e/class_system

Since your are starting out, i would recommend studying the MVC pattern our docs and get familiar with structuring your code.
    It may seem a bit much to start, but will be helpful when building your apps in the long run.
    http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.2/#...n_architecture

Then you have the issue of what backend are you going to use for your app to handle your data. (PHP, Java, Ruby .. etc)

As mentioned, there is so much to cover and not knowing what you are familiar with, it would be very difficult to provide a blanket answer.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    maokue is on a distinguished road

Thank you for you reply, I really appreciate your help. What I meant with I haven't built any website or web app before and what I forgot to mention in fact! is, can I jump right in the mobile dev world and start developing mobile apps with Sencha Touch.... As a newbie, seems like I have to start learning Javascript before I do the above Thanks again.Cheers

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of

The question you're asking is similar to asking: "Do I have to understand construction before I can build a house?"

Technically, no, you don't. But it's going to take a lot longer to complete, because you have to learn everything while you're actually building the house.

Same for using Ext JS or Touch. Do you have to know HTML and JavaScript? No. But you're going to have to learn it, and doing that while simultaneously trying to learn Ext JS or Touch is going to be a very confusing and time-consuming process.

So I would very strongly recommend that you gain a firm understanding of JavaScript and HTML development before you try tackling anything else.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

The old idea of crawl before you walk. Sure, jump in but it may be very frustrating when you don't know how anything works. Books can really help, there is a great one called Sencha Touch in Action that is geared towards new people to the framework but as brian428 says you really need to have some sort of programming knowledge.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.