Sencha Premium Member Troy Wolf's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Troy Wolf is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Difficult things easy and easy things difficult

Difficult things easy and easy things difficult

After several months of working with Ext, there is no turning back. It is a wonderful foundation to build very powerful, intuitive, consistent web interfaces for data-driven applications.

It was not very long ago, that I struggled at every turn just to implement the "simplest" Ext component, and I've been developing Internet applications for about 8 years. I'm not new to this stuff. The good news is I'm definitely getting the hang of it, and now as I need to use additional Ext components for the first time, I find the learning curve is much smaller.

I still struggle many times with doing what should be really, really simple. "I just want to move this label over here." "This button should fall on the same line with this textbox." What I'd tell all of you who are just starting your Ext journey--especially if you have normal HTML/CSS/javascript skills--is this:

Ext makes difficult things easy and easy things difficult!

There are things that Ext can do for you that on your own you may never be able to get working if you had 6 months dedicated to it. Ext can do things for you that you probably thought were not even possible in the browser. However, it is not what many of you would consider normal web development. It is a major paradigm shift to how you build your Internet applications--both in the UI and the server-side. In the process, some things that you can do right now without even thinking about, will become stumbling blocks to your progress when you go Ext.

Let me be clear--Ext is amazing, and I highly recommend it. But lets not kid ourselves--Ext does not make all things easier. I hope that as I learn even more about Ext, I'll eat these words!

Sencha - Community Support Team jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

Please let me know how they taste

Vote Rating
    simeon is on a distinguished road

Sorry, but XSL makes hard things easy and easy things hard.
    Ext makes everything possible.

I have been building web based applications for 10 years. After 1.5 years working with Ext, I couldn't imagine taking a job working for a company unless they were using or willing to use Ext to build their web apps.

Developing cross browser apps used to cause some legendary rants in my office. I mean therapy was part of the budget.

Now its:
    Ext.get('Jack').pullHairOutSoWeDontHaveTo()

Building web apps is fun again. No doubt. You'll get there quicker then you expect.

Vote Rating
    jack.slocum will become famous soon enough jack.slocum will become famous soon enough

Ext.get('Jack').pullHairOutSoWeDontHaveTo()
    LOL. I needed a good laugh, thanks!
    Jack Slocum
    Ext JS Founder
    Original author of Ext JS 1, 2 & 3.
    Twitter: @jackslocum
    jack@extjs.com

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    TommyMaintz will become famous soon enough TommyMaintz will become famous soon enough

What hair. Jack has no hair :p

Vote Rating
    chalu is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up LOL

LOL

... But Jack's Avatar 'says' he's got hairs

Vote Rating
    snss is on a distinguished road

u guys are funnyy....
    i totally agree with Troy Wolf .the learning curve for picking up extjs..is quite painful experience..but getting to know and use extjs..is remarkable.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dalsbury is on a distinguished road

Red face

ExtJS was from the moment I saw it, the way I wanted to develop all my future admin tools and web applications (when I saw Dojo, I ran the other way). Though I have pretended to be a programmer for 10+ years on the internet, my programming experience and style was linear. The web after all was stateless and instantiated objects other than database abstraction layers and templating systems seemed overkill to me.

The paradigm shift required for developing ExtJS was very dramatic for this self taught programmer. When approaching ExtJS, I approached it as an enhancement to my linear approach. Don't do it, put a knife in your eye-ball, but don't do it!

JavaScript...if you don't get JavaScript, stop the train. The Rhino book saved my tail and I wish I read it before I thought knew enough to get started. JavaScript is a radical departure from what I thought it was. If the C-like syntax made you think it was more akin to a language you already knew or you think you know JavaScript from the sprinkles you put on your HTML form cupcakes, think again.

As for the server side shift, I have realized that avoiding a Object Oriented developing strategy was just laziness and that I needed to either build an OO framework or adopt an existing one. The Zend Framework is what I am currently working with and I like it a lot, and yet I am just beginning to understand how to use it.

So I guess this is my point: If you come from a linear background, even if you really are skilled in the web arena with multiple years experience, you may not be prepared like you would expect. LEARN JAVASCRIPT, DON'T ASSUME YOU GET IT just because you have used it. Learn more about OOP and how JavaScript actually differs from traditional OOP.

It might be worth creating a suggested learning curriculum outline that would get all users on the same page. Many people feel they know what they need to know to get started, but they really need to re-learn some of the core technologies they have been working with for years. Funny thing is, I have been developing web sites for 10+ years, and yet my library lacks a modern HTML/XHTML book, a modern CSS book and a modern PHP book (my last PHP book was for version 3, yikes!!!). For those of us who started at 1.0, it might be time to learn 2.0, so we can get ready for the next big shift and if you are still using <FONT> tags, you really missed the boat .

Some book suggestions:
    * JavaScript: Rhino Book, O'Reilly - if someone else knows of a better book, please let me know
    * CSS: Suggestions please
    * HTML/XHTML: Suggestions please
    * Server side scripting books (PHP, Rails, .Net, etc. depending on platform): Suggestions please

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    GreenHat is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by dalsbury View Post
    JavaScript...if you don't get JavaScript, stop the train. The Rhino book saved my tail and I wish I read it before I thought knew enough to get started. JavaScript is a radical departure from what I thought it was. If the C-like syntax made you think it was more akin to a language you already knew or you think you know JavaScript from the sprinkles you put on your HTML form cupcakes, think again.

So I guess this is my point: If you come from a linear background, even if you really are skilled in the web arena with multiple years experience, you may not be prepared like you would expect. LEARN JAVASCRIPT, DON'T ASSUME YOU GET IT just because you have used it. Learn more about OOP and how JavaScript actually differs from traditional OOP.
    I think this is good advice.

I have 27 years of professional programming experience in all sorts of languages (Assembler, C, C++, COBOL, PL1 (yep, some oldies!), ASP, PHP), but after 3 days solid of messing about with ExtJS - reading tutorials, running examples, trying stuff out - I still haven't got a clue what I'm doing.

Actually that's a lie, I can do this:

Code:
    Ext.onReady
    (
        function() 
        { 
            Ext.QuickTips.init();
        }
    );
    It's after that I get lost.

Anyway, back to the point. With so many languages at my disposal I can usually pick up new ones pretty fast but not, it seems, JavaScript.

I have no idea why that is. Maybe I just have some sort of brain block to it.

It's clear to me that in order to learn ExtJS I need to learn JavaScript first. Properly I mean - I've tinkered with loads of JavaScript in the course of making PHP-driven web sites, but I just can't seem to grasp this ExtJS stuff.

So I think I'll have to shelve ExtJS for my current project and do it 'the old way' (time constraints etc.) and then get down to some serious JavaScript learning - and then back to ExtJS, which, I must admit, looks really cool.

My reason for posting this is really to back up what the original poster said for the benefit of anyone like me who comes here and thinks that, due to previous programming experience, it should be a snip to pick up this JavaScript/ExtJS stuff.

It isn't.

Well, either it isn't or I'm a moron!

Sencha - Community Support Team jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

If you can figure out the basics of OOJS, using Ext will make things much clearer.