Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    andrew.chicago is on a distinguished road

Default Do I need both Sencha Touch and ExtJS to cover regular and mobile browser usability?

Do I need both Sencha Touch and ExtJS to cover regular and mobile browser usability?

Hello,

I am learning Sencha/ExtJS to remove dependency on Flash in many of our applications. I started with Sencha Touch and built an application which runs well in desktop Chrome and Safari, but seems to break down in desktop IE11.

Then I found that:
    "Sencha Touch requires Chrome or Safari. On a mobile device, you can use Chrome, Safari, or Internet Explorer 10 or 11."

My goal is to ideally have all our applications accessible via both the desktop/laptop and mobile browsers.

Does this mean that for each application I should develop an ExtJS version for mobile environment and a Sencha Touch version for mobile?

Thoughts greatly appreciated!

Sencha - Services Team arthurakay's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    arthurakay is a jewel in the rough arthurakay is a jewel in the rough arthurakay is a jewel in the rough arthurakay is a jewel in the rough

Ext JS 5 certainly covers a wider variety of browsers - and considering Ext JS 5 supports tablets, your need for "desktop and mobile" would be mostly solved.

However, Ext JS 5 isn't really optimized for phones... the widget library (trees, grids, etc) are more useful and user-friendly on desktop and tablet devices.

Therefore I would probably suggest you try to migrate your application to Ext JS 5 unless you REALLY need phone support.
    Arthur Kay
    Developer Relations Manager, Sencha Inc.

Twitter | Sencha Chicago User Group

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    andrew.chicago is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the reply, Arthur!

Thread Participants: 1