Vote Rating
    joshmorony is on a distinguished road

Default Tips for Sencha Touch Beginners?

Tips for Sencha Touch Beginners?

I just finished up a blog post with some tips for Sencha Touch beginners. You can check out the whole thing here if you like (it's too long to post here directly), but here's a very quick summary:

1. Understand the MVC structure and how views interact with controllers
    2. Don't put everything in one controller
    3. Skip the Sencha Touch native packager, go straight for PhoneGap
    4. Have a good testing and debugging setup
    5. Keep performance in mind
    6. Use SASS and Compass
    7. Connect with other Sencha Touch developers

I thought it'd be cool if we could get a bit of a discussion going here - what are your tips for Sencha Touch beginners?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    fischer1121 is on a distinguished road

- Don't prematurely optimize. Sencha Touch adds a crap-load of dom hierarchy, but don't waste your time recycling list item elements with custom listitem components etc. - just wait for Sencha's solution to layout woes.

- When you encounter faults in the framework (e.g., persisting associated records in formpanels), come up with a general solution - take the time - rather than charging through and creating spaghetti code.

- Match your sass file structure to your js file structure.

- As you develop, you should be creating a healthy library of "Ext.[whatever]ux" code, saving yourself some time over the long-run.

- Be careful with associations - use them sparingly! : http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...ouch-apps-data

- Beware of depending on the framework's use of elements in asynchronous code: http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...f-this.element

- Don't overnest. Don't overnest. Don't overnest. You have no idea how much dom hierarchy is created...

- Don't use images - use font icons for resolution independence: ionicons.com and icomoon.com

- Design for your smallest form factor first, then design for larger screens. Not the opposite way around - you don't want to try to scale down a desktop app to the phone!

- Don't be afraid to extend the default classes (e.g., Ext.data.Model, etc.) with your own classes and then extend from those classes. I haven't written a proxy config in years because I have a consistent backend REST api and a custom base class for all models. There are other benefits too.

Thread Participants: 1