Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    fischer1121 is on a distinguished road

Default Why no proper reflow containment?

Why no proper reflow containment?

Sorry but this is bugging me. Why exactly isn't there an explicit way to contain reflow in a web app. Why did Sencha have to resort to using round about methods when they're in contact with webkit/gecko/trident leaders? It just seems so maddeningly simple to add a css attribute that would instantly make apps qualitatively better.

Can someone provide some insight into this?

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Can I have an example?
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

An old example is fastbook's sandboxing technique. Sencha had to use a hack to express its intent to the browser that it didn't want reflow to occur past a certain point. The results are incredible. I've used every technique under the sun but, without that containment, infinite variable-height list will always be jank.

I'd like a css attribute to put on each list item, as granular as I want, to say "recalculate your height but don't affect other elements. I'll handle it from here." There are css combinations that come close but none are reliable.

There's no doubt in my mind Sencha has brought this up to at least one of the browser vendors, so I'm curious why it isn't reality yet.

Sencha - Community Support Team hendricd's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    hendricd will become famous soon enough hendricd will become famous soon enough

@fischer1121:

What luck have you had with IFRAME vs OBJECT for isolation?

"be dom-ready..."
    Doug Hendricks

Maintaining ux: ManagedIFrame, MIF2 (FAQ, Wiki), ux.Media/Flash, AudioEvents, ux.Chart[Fusion,OFC,amChart], ext-basex.js/$JIT, Documentation Site.

Got Sencha licensing questions? Find out more here.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

@hendricd,
    I've avoided re-implementing the object sandboxing. It's already done in fastbook and I was sure it'd be released soon. There's a lot of tightly-knit, framework-level work involved with styles and coordinates. Instead, I implemented every other technique and, by process of elimination and comparing results, can say it's the sandboxing that's the magic. Absolutely nothing even comes close. Don't know if you've looked at fastbook under the chrome tools, but it's a true breakthrough.

Have you done work in this area or have any insight into why this was never released by Sencha?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Sorry, misread the question. I haven't compared the two techniques. They were compared at Sencha and object won out AFAIK. So all this internal work is done, an amazing breakthrough demo is shown, and there's this hope held out that it will usher in this next generation of web apps. Then it gets killed off in the dark, and I have no idea what happened. So I'm a bit disappointed and curious what happened, and not eager to try out something that's determined by Sencha to not be production worthy.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember correctly the reason the sandbox container did not make it into the framework was because Jackie and Jamie couldn't get the event propagation stable. Everything other than the sandbox container did make it in tho.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Did anyone investigate splitting up the app using native webviews instead of iframes/objects? It seems like all the hard work has been done already, it's just the container that sucks. AppGyver already does this, but it doesn't abstract it away. The sandbox component could do nothing when unpackaged, but when packaged it works with a cordova/crosswalk plugin from Sencha to provide isolation via a webview. Same concept of progressive enhancement you can see with Ext.field.DatePickerNative.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

BTW, I've posted this to the blink team's Q&A happening today:
    https://www.google.com/moderator/?au...33&t=219233.40

It'll be recorded, so hopefully the question is answered...

Thread Participants: 2