Ext User
    Vote Rating
    technicaltitch is on a distinguished road

Default Dynamically zipping JS files to browser - possible/useful?

Dynamically zipping JS files to browser - possible/useful?

The TinyMCE editor includes an option which, as I understand it, zips up the Javascript and images server-side, transmits them to the browser, which then unzips them client-side. This speeds up page load by about 75% as it reduces file size and the number of requests the browser makes. Anyone think this would be useful for ExtJS?

(This forum reckons servers and browsers can do this for js files, but this doesn't reduce requests, especially when you've icon/button images etc, and I find this technique breaks ExtJS anyway.)

Thought I'd post my random mental meanderings..!

Chris

Vote Rating
    evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute

It's talking about GZipping, if you search the forum there's other discussions about it. It's something you have to enable server side. The general consensus is that it's a good thing (tm).

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    technicaltitch is on a distinguished road

Sorry to take your time - didn't realise TinyMCE used the same mechanism. When I tried setting my server up for it ext-all-debug.js showed syntax errors but that must be something I haven't set up right.

Thread Participants: 1