Ext User
    Vote Rating
    sfwalter is on a distinguished road

Default SVN for Extensions

SVN for Extensions

All,

The extension community of Ext is growing by leaps and bounds. I am continualy amazed at the excellent architecture that Ext gives us to write extensions as well as the authors of extensions.

One problem I see is where to get the extensions from. Some authors have the extensions on their website, some just post in the forums. It would be great if the folks at Ext JS could open up part of their svn repo for extension authors to put their code. That way it would be a one stop shop for extensions. They do this for the Grails project and it works out great.

thanks, scott.

Sencha - Community Support Team jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

I think this is a great idea. I think SVN is nice for pulling down code, but I really dislike browsing it. I think something like ext-forge would be hot.

Vote Rating
    dawesi has a spectacular aura about dawesi has a spectacular aura about

extforge.org will have svn access for extensions (coming this easter weekend) Finally!!
    Teahouse Training Company
    Official Certified Sencha Trainer

Australia / New Zealand / Singapore / Hong Kong & APAC

SenchaWorld.com - Sencha webinars, videos, etc
    SenchaForge.org - (coming soon)
    TeahouseHQ.com - Sencha ecosystem training portal

Code Validation : JSLint | JSONLint | JSONPLint

Vote Rating
    Lobos is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by dawesi View Post
    extforge.org will have svn access for extensions (coming this easter weekend) Finally!!
    Is that a private site or affiliated with extJS? I ask cause over the years I have found that these type of repository sites tend to confuse more than help, no disrespect as you are obviously trying to help, but they don't work in my opinion, you end up with things scattered all over the place.

If you check out joomla.org, you will see that they have a centralized extension repository as well as a forge / svn and i would suggest extJS.com set up something like this as well - for starters just a simple repository where users can add there extensions in a categorised type system. As time progresses a forge can also be added. I stress the word simple here, just start with something basic and build from there - this would be a nice way to showcase ext as well cause you could use it as a front end for the repository

Keeping everything in the one place is best in my opinion.

-Lobos

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Lobos View Post
    Is that a private site or affiliated with extJS? I ask cause over the years I have found that these type of repository sites tend to confuse more than help, no disrespect as you are obviously trying to help, but they don't work in my opinion, you end up with things scattered all over the place.
    That's why this project has tied the extforge (developer interface), ext-ui (public themes) and ext-ux (public extensions)... the three sites will be very closely knitted to each other and back to this site.

If you check out joomla.org, you will see that they have a centralized extension repository as well as a forge / svn and i would suggest extJS.com set up something like this as well - for starters just a simple repository where users can add there extensions in a categorised type system. As time progresses a forge can also be added. I stress the word simple here, just start with something basic and build from there - this would be a nice way to showcase ext as well cause you could use it as a front end for the repository
    Hearing you load and clear bro... I couldn't agree more... luckily for us we have access to some code from the back-end of another forge, but we will be releasing features in stages for sure :-)

Keeping everything in the one place is best in my opinion. -Lobos
    I guess that's up to Jack and the team to decide if they want to link to it from extjs.com :-)

Vote Rating
    Lobos is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by dawesi View Post
    I guess that's up to Jack and the team to decide if they want to link to it from extjs.com :-)
    Well thats the thing that will either make or break you, if they don't it will be hard to find and take a lot of time to build up as developers will not know of it so you won't have much code there... unless you actually manually take extensions and add them there, but this opens up the whole can of worms, ie it is better to ask permission first.

And if they do? Lucky you, although it is doubtful that a site with a reach like ExtJS will just link to anyone. Anyway like I said I commend your efforts and wish you luck, but don't expect an easy road. There is also the issue that ExtJS could release there own solution and make you redundant over night, so just be careful - you don't want all that hard work to go to waste!

-Lobos

Vote Rating

Ive been talking to Jack about it and he is supportive.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    mdissel is on a distinguished road

Nice idea!