Ext User
    Vote Rating
    irishdunn is on a distinguished road

Default JSONDataModel, Understanding schema

JSONDataModel, Understanding schema

I understand the schema for the XMLDataModel, mostly in part to the fact that XML is organized in tree form. When I look at a JSON object, there doesnt appear to be nodes in which to point the root of the schema to, I see all the attributes I want to pull out listed multiple times for multiple object that I want to see in the grid, but setting up the schema is escaping me...

Do you have an example of what the data might look like and your schema?

*EDIT*

I might be back farther than I thought, when calling a web service I am returning to the callback function an object that is a list. This C# list several attributes including index's to the nodes that I want to parse into my JSONDataModel. So I downloaded this script to convert my list object into a JSON object (I allready might be on the wrong path).

Now I have this rediculous string that I want to make a schema for

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    jbowman is on a distinguished road

JSON pretty much is a javascript object. No real schema... it's an extremely lightweight way of passing data.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

I am getting back an object that has the data I want in it, but at this point it is a list so each iteration of the data I need has an index. I am not sure how to set up any of the datamodels for the grid to use what I have....

therin lies the rub.

*EDIT*

here is my JSON data:

Code:
    "[{\"__serverType\":\"CENSORED\",\"ID\":\"39c79afb-19a8-49fb-8d6a-f7c9d9db2b0e\",\"Comment\":\"\",\"PasswordAnswer\":\"\",\"CreationDate\":{},\"Email\":\"testAndrew@andrew.com\",\"IsApproved\":true,\"IsLockedOut\":false,\"IsOnline\":false,\"LastActivityDate\":{},\"LastLockoutDate\":{},\"LastLoginDate\":{},\"LastPasswordChangedDate\":{},\"PasswordQuestion\":\"nothing\",\"ProviderName\":\"NTKMembershipProvider\",\"ProviderUserKey\":{},\"UserName\":\"Test Andrew\"},

{\"__serverType\":\"CENSORED\",\"ID\":\"5dfbae14-a4a1-4a16-add9-808c9ab794cb\",\"Comment\":\"\",\"PasswordAnswer\":\"\",\"CreationDate\":{},\"Email\":\"test@test.com\",\"IsApproved\":true,\"IsLockedOut\":false,\"IsOnline\":false,\"LastActivityDate\":{},\"LastLockoutDate\":{},\"LastLoginDate\":{},\"LastPasswordChangedDate\":{},\"PasswordQuestion\":\"nothing\",\"ProviderName\":\"NTKMembershipProvider\",\"ProviderUserKey\":{},\"UserName\":\"test Andrew2\"},

{\"__serverType\":\"CENSORED\",\"ID\":\"b28b1bac-d678-4b07-aa36-129f08c26f90\",\"Comment\":\"\",\"PasswordAnswer\":\"\",\"CreationDate\":{},\"Email\":\"wstest@email.com\",\"IsApproved\":true,\"IsLockedOut\":false,\"IsOnline\":false,\"LastActivityDate\":{},\"LastLockoutDate\":{},\"LastLoginDate\":{},\"LastPasswordChangedDate\":{},\"PasswordQuestion\":\"color\",\"ProviderName\":\"NTKMembershipProvider\",\"ProviderUserKey\":{},\"UserName\":\"wstest\"}]"
    I split it up nice so there is three nodes, now here is the schema i am trying:

Code:
                this.schema = {
                     root: '__serverType',
                     id: 'ASIN',
                     fields: ['UserName']
                };
    helps!

Vote Rating
    jack.slocum will become famous soon enough jack.slocum will become famous soon enough

Your JSON data has no root. The root is the array. This is bad JSON data as the root should be an object not an array.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    jbowman is on a distinguished road

I thought it looked funky, nds that's why I didn't reply as I was going to look it up, then got sidetracked playing with new data modeling software.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Allright I do get an object back from the server with an array inside, but I dont know how to configure the schema for that... lemme give u a picture of my watch in VS

So I gave up on the idea of using the JSONDataModel and now I am trying to dynamically build the DefaultDataModel...

Code:
            function CallBack(value)
            {
                alert("CallBack Initiated");    
                var data;
                var datacount = value.get_length();
                alert("There are "+datacount+" items to be\n loaded into the grid");

data = "[";
                for(i=0; i<datacount; i++)
                {
                    data = data + "['" + value[i].UserName + "']";
                    if(i<datacount-1)
                    {
                        data = data + ",";
                    }
                }
                data = data + "]";

debugger

this.griddata.removeAll();
                this.griddata.addRows(data);
            }
    But does the value for DefaultDataModel have to be an array? not a string which I am building.

*EDIT*

so to my disgust I realized I just built a nice string when the implementation should be a multidemensional array. I really would like to know how to implement the JSONDataModel, since the default datamodel generation is looking to be a headache now.

Vote Rating
    jack.slocum will become famous soon enough jack.slocum will become famous soon enough

Set your "schema" to the root of "data". Then add this code to your data model:

Code:
    dataModel.loadData = function(data, callback, keepExisting){
        var objData = {'data': data};
        YAHOO.ext.grid.JSONDataModel.prototype.loadData.call(this, objData, callback, keepExisting);
    };
    This will make your array part of the object "objData" with a root of "data" so you can access it.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

That code extends my object's attributes down from data, so now I have a root which is great but the scheme still will not pull out the attributes I want.

Code:
                var schema = {
                 root: 'data',
                 id: 'ASIN',
                 fields: ['UserName']
                };
    so now I have my objData
    data
    attribute
    attribute
    attribute
    [0] <------ The field I want is in here
    [1] <------ The field I want is in here
    [2] <------ The field I want is in here

Still escaping me....

Ext User
    Vote Rating

can i get a little help here guys? this is really frustrating. I think my web services are written correctly, but I keep getting this object back. I really want to tie this in with my yui interface!

Vote Rating

So what does your JSON object look like now? Can you dump it (Object.dump(o)) and paste in the data (abbreviated)?