View Poll Results: Do you like the use of public properties for pre-render configuration options?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 29.27%
  • No

4 9.76%
  • No, and I prefer changing the API

25 60.98%
    Sencha - GXT Dev Team darrellmeyer's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    darrellmeyer is on a distinguished road

Default Ext GWT public properties and JavaBeans

Ext GWT public properties and JavaBeans

The decision to use public properties in Ext GWT was a decision that was made after much deliberation and discussion with the community. Currently, public properties are only used for pre-render options that are used before a component is rendered. Methods can be called at any time.

Here are the issues:
    1. Ext GWT needs a way to allow components to be "configured" before rendering.
    2. Many components have a large number of config options.
    2. Any solution should be typed. No config.set("frame", true);
    3. It should be easy to identify pre-render options.

Possible solutions
    1. Have a config object for each components that is passed in the component constructor:
    Code:
    ContentPanelConfig cfg = new ContentPanelConfig();
     cfg.setFrame(true);
     cfg.setCollapsible(true);
    panel = new ContentPanel(cfg)
    2. Use a config object that is accessed via the component:
    Code:
     panel = new ContentPanel();
    panel.getConfig().setFrame(true);
    3. Support both 1 & 2.

4. Using a naming syntax with config options:
    Code:
    panel.setConfigFrame(true);
    panel.setCFrame(true);
    panel.setCCollapsible(true);
    5. Use public properties:
    Code:
    panel.frame = true;
    panel.collapsible = true;
    I know Java developers are not used to using public properties and getters /setters and the standard way for an API. But keep in mind, Ext GWT is not a standard java application and has unique needs.

All that being said, we are open for feedback and suggestions. If you have an opinion, please let me know what you are thinking. If I had to pick an option that did not use properties I would probably prefer method 4 as it seems the most natural.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    avrecko is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the clarification but I don't get it.

ContentPanelConfig cfg = new ContentPanelConfig();
    cfg.setFrame(true);
    cfg.setCollapsible(true);
    panel = new ContentPanel(cfg)
    Shouldn't in this case ContentPanelConfig actually be in-lined in the ContentPanel? When you extend the ContentPanel you are inheriting all of the config options anyway.

Why is there a need for ContentPanelConfig in the first place? What is wrong with plain panel.setFrame(true), panel.setCollapsable(true);?

If by some reason public fields are needed, please just supply the getters and setters it will not spoil the Java Bean feeling but you will still get public fields.

Vote Rating
    ushkinaz is on a distinguished road

I'd vote for private fields and public accessors.
    Reasons:
    1. Java developers are used to search for setters in widgets.
    2. Public properties means that a developer should forget about his past experience and develop new style of coding. Not good at all, since it intoduces hidden cost into our projects.
    3. Public properties: this approach means that all my code should implement same approach. Which is bad, IMO. All my automated codesmell checkers will yell at me. I'll be spammed with false alarms, which means I'll ignore them, which means I'll have high chance of missing important ones.
    4. Related to 3) All my code reviewers are have to learn that public properties are ok. Introduces hidden cost.
    5. Consider this scenario: MyWidget is inherited from Widget. I need to have a property, which value is calculated from Widget.width property. With setter it's easy - just override setWidth() and do your (possibly heavy) calculations there. With public fields - well, more complex and obscure approach should be implemented.
    6. Regarding your remark to "Ext GWT is not a standard java application". I don't think that Ext GWT is THAT different. It could be compared to SWING, Tapestry, Wicket and many more. AFAIK, none of these great libraries are using public fields. And lifecycle of widgets in these libs are simular to lifecycle in Ext GWT.
    7. Tools support. Approach 1), 2) and 3) will introduce some difficulties to tools providers, since configuration objects should be correctly recognized and editors provided. 4) is standard, there will be little need for tailoring. 5) is in question.
    8. setters/getters might be declared in interfaces. public field can not. See GWT's interfaces like HasAlignment for use cases.
    9. 1) could be nice. Nicest thing about it - I could easily share/clone configuration objects between widgets. Cool.

As an addition, refactoring existing code in Ext GWT is reeeeealy easy. Just 1 click on every class in my IDE of choice

Vote Rating
    ChadBourque is on a distinguished road

Darrell,

Personally, I like option 3. Have separate configuration objects that are accessible from the widgets themselves. That has the benefit of completely separating the pre-render configuration away from the widget itself while still making easily accessible from the widget. It also allows for the creation of a single configuration object that can used for multiple widgets that you want to all have the same configuration.

Anyway, that's how I see it. Take it for what it's worth.
    There are two types of people in the world:
    • Those who need closure

Vote Rating

One thing I forgot. With public fields you can't add validations.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    damsca is on a distinguished road

Hi Darrell,

I'm happy with any of proposed syntaxes. My main concern is upward compatibility, The code shouldn't have to be changed because a property becomes dynamic.
    Go Habs Go

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    jayj is on a distinguished road

+1 for option 4 for the same reasons that others have pointed out above. I'd also be happy with a standard setter that throws if it does not support being used after rendering as long as the javadoc states this clearly.

Vote Rating
    Cameron Braid is on a distinguished road

I don't mind using public fields, however this breaks encapsulation and makes it more difficult to evolve the API.

I don't like the idea of a setter prefix.

I vote for using protected (or private) fields with public mutators.

This is how I think the code should look.

Code:
    /**
    * <p>NOTE : pre render property</p>
    * describe the property here
    */
    public void setFrame(boolean frame) {
       assertNotRendered();
       this.frame = frame.
    }
    private boolean frame;

add into Component
    protected void assertNotRendered() {
      assert !isRendered() : "property can only be set before the component is rendered";
    }

Vote Rating

I'd vote for what Cameron said.

Vote Rating
    sheesh-kebab is on a distinguished road

If public properties are so annoying to folks (as a java developer I see why, although as a groovy/python developer I really like them), I'd prefer either:

a) simple getters/setters, a la Swing (although I'm not too keen about that assertion code that Cameron is suggesting - too verbose)

b) config object (option 1, I think)

I don't know how intuitive option 4 would be - looks a kind of weird, but I haven't really tried it.